Tweaking computer voices on TomTom Go 740

Fire up Home

Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras, etc.
Voices
Computer Voices
Dave

Regretfully, all to no success.

Fired up HOME, selected voices, selected computer voices, sort on default, view all and a whole pile of foreign language computer voices appeared, along with Simon (UK English) and Susan (US English) which are shown as downloaded to "Internal Memory" on my TT. But DAVE appears not!

Would anyone perhaps have a link to the DAVE file they could share?:)

Chuck

Regretfully, all to no success.

Fired up HOME, selected voices, selected computer voices, sort on default, view all and a whole pile of foreign language computer voices appeared, along with Simon (UK English) and Susan (US English) which are shown as downloaded to "Internal Memory" on my TT. But DAVE appears not!

Would anyone perhaps have a link to the DAVE file they could share?:)

Chuck

Had (I thought) an EUREKA moment and said to my self (Self, we are not talking rocket science here, lets call TT Support and ask how to overcome fact I can't find DAVE computer voice.)

Strangely, phone answered by real person right after I told the answering machine computer my TT model info.

Explained my situation, was put on hold for two mins or so, and got answer "DAVE" won't work on my TT740TM Live so that's why Simon and Susan are only two computer voices I can find for download.

I'd swear that can't be correct because I downloaded KATE and her pronunciation of streets (false spanish or italian names) is no worse than Simon and Susan.

Thoughts?

Chuck

Had (I thought) an EUREKA moment and said to my self (Self, we are not talking rocket science here, lets call TT Support and ask how to overcome fact I can't find DAVE computer voice.)

Strangely, phone answered by real person right after I told the answering machine computer my TT model info.

Explained my situation, was put on hold for two mins or so, and got answer "DAVE" won't work on my TT740TM Live so that's why Simon and Susan are only two computer voices I can find for download.

I'd swear that can't be correct because I downloaded KATE and her pronunciation of streets (false spanish or italian names) is no worse than Simon and Susan.

Thoughts?

Chuck

Now have "Dave". All voices installed in device memory and only maps and things TT considers map related installed on the Class 6, 8GB, MicroSDHC card I purchased off Ebay.

All is super excellent and now I can experiment to my hearts content.

:confused:

Question. Here in LV we have a lot of Italian street names (I know, we're not in Tuscany or Naples, but some of the local developers seem to think saying we hve Tuscan themed communities is a plus) If I install a Spanish or Italian computer voice, and tell it to pronounce foreign words, will I finally get things pronounced correctly? ie: Susan and Dave keep pronouncing Via as Vida instead of Veea and we have a lot of streets here that use Italian vowel sounds not american: I now hear A, E, I, O, U but instead I need to hear Ah,Eh, Eee, Oh, OOO. For example Pecos Road needs to be pronounced P Eh c Oh s Road not P EEE c Oh s Road.

I see (via Win Explorer) in my Loquendo voice files some folders with state names attached. Do they contain unique pronunciations to be used in certain states? Are they worthless and just sucking up space in the GO740TM Live?

Have you tried renaming cphoneme.dat to cphoneme.old in your specific map folder?

That may help.

Have not tried the combo of foreign computer voice AND pronounce foreign street names. If you try it, report back your findings, please.

(planning on using Susan on my unit when I'm in Italy next month. She has enough trouble with English names! :D Should be interesting)

(planning on using Susan on my unit when I'm in Italy next month. She has enough trouble with English names! :D Should be interesting)
I used Susan in Rome last November. You will be amused. I didn't have an Italian voice loaded to try, and really didn't want all of the instructions in Italian anyway...

I hadn't considered killing off cphoneme.dat back then as our gallant tweakers here hadn't arrived at that conclusion yet. I MUST take time to do that one of these days soon and see if it resolves that longstanding problem at my favorite nearby exit towards home...

Out here on I-25, there's an exit for a town called Lyons. Ever since I purchased my 720 with firmware 7.221 (back in the dark ages) and the associated voice files, Susan has insisted on announcing this exit as EL YAWN. It's as though there's a substitution going on from LYONS to L YON somewhere in a table. Anyway, Susan is sometimes not-so-affectionately known as Barbie (after Klaus Barbie, the "Butcher of Lyons"). I'm going to have to try the cphoneme.dat file and see if that changes anything locally.

Pardon me if I missed it here, but I need help teaching my 540 to speak properly. Other than the numbered road spoken as a whole number instead of saying, thirty eighty three for example, I would like to kix the running together of road names. Example: Fm 3083 Rd. E. Spoken F M one thousand eighty threeroadeast. With threeroadeast run together without a pause. I am assuming that I can add a comma somewhere to force a pause. Seems there should be a pause before "road" & "east" whenever they occur. I would appreciate it if someone could point me to instructions to change the "rule" for these type words.
BTW cphoneme.dat is not in use.
Thanks,
kev

Last edited:

Ask a Question