TT One New edition no audio/voices heard

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One/3rd edition
My in-laws came up to visit and their TT One New Edition is having issues.

Basically, there is no audio, no sound when they turn it on/off, no audio (voices) when they are driving telling them to turn, etc... They had no audio on the entire trip up, but the audio WAS working on the trip before that.

However, there IS audio/sound/voices heard over the computer speakers when the TT is connected to TT Home and the voice volume is adjusted. I checked the Preferences and sound IS turned on (option available is to Turn Off Sound).

Their map is not up to date but I don't think that is the problem. There are no OS updates available through TT Home...

I've deleted all but two of the voices to try to free up some RAM and available RAM doesn't appear to be an issue (5.9Mb of 29 Mb free).

I've also ran the clear flash tool several times in a row, as well as chkdsk a couple of times. I've also peeled back the decal covering the SD memory card slot and have done several soft resets, with no luck...

Any ideas out there? Maybe the speaker wire broke or the speaker itself gone out?

I've done a manual backup, should I try to reformat and recover from the manual backup?

Any insights appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Have you tried resetting the unit? And when you go to voice preferences and highlight a voice, does the 'test' emit sounds? Tried a different voice selection?

Thanks for the quick response, dhn!

Yes, I've tried resetting the unit (pushing the reset button next to the SD card slot with a paperclip for 15-30 seconds), with no effect.

I get no sound whatsoever when testing any voice I select when the TT is not connected to TT Home, but I DO hear the voices over the computer's speakers when testing voices using "Operate My One" on TT Home...

If you don't get the Drum Roll as the device starts up post reset it will either be the speaker thats dead or the amp thats shot - Mike

Thanks for the info, mike, I am suspecting that it's something more than a software/memory issue, hope to find out it is (still) but that hope's starting to fade...

Over the years on the various forums, just about the only TT's that have had persistent reports of "no audio" problems have been the ONE models.

I've just done a search on one UK forum and found quite a lot of mentions of it.

The speaker itself often seems to fail , or its connector to the main PCB.

Here's one topic with a link to a replacement speaker (UK store)
tomtom one no sound!

They look like standard sizes (and therefore cheap to try) on those models.

Worth a try opening it up and having a look, if you can get hold of the right torx screwdrivers (try a mobile phone repair shop or a Radio Shack if you still have them!

Last edited:

Ask a Question