TT 720 Don't boot up.

TomTom Model(s)
TT GO 720
Hello everyone,
I have problem with my 720 , Just updated map share with TT home this morning and it din't boot up .
I tried to press reset and do hard reset but no luck .

Anything esle what I should do ?

Try using Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. Delete the file mapsettings.cfg found in the North_America map folder. TomTom will recreate it when it starts up. You will lose any favourites and recent destinations but it may solve the booting problems.

Or, you can try this first..............

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Go). Go to Manage Favourites and make a change to one of them, add one, delete one, edit one, it doesn't matter.

Now disconnect the unit properly from Home (use the Device Disconnect icon).

Does it boot now?

Try using Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. Delete the file mapsettings.cfg found in the North_America map folder. TomTom will recreate it when it starts up. You will lose any favourites and recent destinations but it may solve the booting problems.

Or, you can try this first..............

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Go). Go to Manage Favourites and make a change to one of them, add one, delete one, edit one, it doesn't matter.

Now disconnect the unit properly from Home (use the Device Disconnect icon).

Does it boot now?

Can't connect to PC . it doesn't start up . I tried to do hard reset so many times but still nothing .

Try a different usb port on the pc. Also, do you have another cable you can try?

Try a different usb port on the pc. Also, do you have another cable you can try?

I'v tried 3 different usb port and 2 PC but still no luck .( see only the creen light is on )
Well, time to put in garbage . lol

Thanks for trying to help me .

Okay, good!

So, using Windows Explorer, format the unit's internal drive (don't use quickformat)

Restore the backup again using Explorer.

Okay, good!

So, using Windows Explorer, format the unit's internal drive (don't use quickformat)

Restore the backup again using Explorer.

My TT 720 din't start up.
I press the power buttom then nothing show up , I see only creen light appear on the right hand side .
Tried to reset and still the same .

Can you copy your Explorer backup to a sdhc card (4 gig if you have one though a 2 gig should do). Insert the card into the unit and try to power up then.

Next, with the card inserted........

push a paper clip into the reset hole and at the SAME TIME hold down the power button.

Make sure the paper clip is actually making contact with the little 'thingy' in the reset hole.

Next, with the card inserted........

push a paper clip into the reset hole and at the SAME TIME hold down the power button.

Make sure the paper clip is actually making contact with the little 'thingy' in the reset hole.

Yes, I tired that so many time but nothing

Maybe I'm missing something.........

When you say it doesn't 'boot up' what happens exactly? Does it start and stall at the opening screen?

Or does it NOT power up at all?

Maybe I'm missing something.........

When you say it doesn't 'boot up' what happens exactly? Does it start and stall at the opening screen?

Or does it NOT power up at all?

Ok, what happened to me , I update map share with TT home yesterday when finished it goes off and on , when it's on I saw splash creen show up and just 5 second it dissappear ( nothing on screen ) I leaved it for 15 minutes but still nothing show up then I start reset and do hard reset .
when I plug in the cable to unit , it show creen power and when I press power buttom but no power up .

Try this.......(assuming it attempts to start) connect to Home. Start emulator (Operate my Go). Manage Favourites. Select one and edit it. Disconnect the unit properly from Home (Device disconnect icon) See if that helps.

Try this.......(assuming it attempts to start) connect to Home. Start emulator (Operate my Go). Manage Favourites. Select one and edit it. Disconnect the unit properly from Home (Device disconnect icon) See if that helps.

I can't connect it to TT home .

On the right hand side of TT home said : No device connected
I tried to pess paower buttom but nothing .

And the computer doesn't recognize it when you connect the unit?

Yes, the computer doesn't recognize it because when I connected the cable to the unit and connect the other side to my PC , open TT home / log in then I press the power buttom of the unit , it has no power up ( no power at all )
I tried this on my note book but still has the same problem .

Last edited:

Ask a Question