TT 720 Don't boot up.

I'm sorry.....

A software update as you describe should not cause a hardware failure, it simply shouldn't.

Does it start up when connected to a car charger?

Other than trying a different usb cable, I don't know what to suggest.

Call support at 866-486-6866.

Last edited:
I'm sorry.....

A software update as you describe should not cause a hardware failure, it simply shouldn't.

Does it start up when connected to a car charger?

Other than trying a different usb cable, I don't know what to suggest.

Call support at 866-486-6866.

I 'v tried with car charger but din't work either .
Now, I'm looking for purchase a new TT but I can't not deside to get between 730, 630

I 'v tried with car charger but din't work either .
Now, I'm looking for purchase a new TT but I can't not deside to get between 730, 630

To answer your question, the 730 is identical to a 720 in almost every way except it has newer maps. The 630 is is the same except you lose the FM transmitter and music player.

Curious: on your 720, hold down the power button and don't let go. Then press the pin reset button and release the pin reset button while still holding down the power button. Does a black diagnostics screen pop up? If so, what does that screen say?

The warranty is expired.
I already put it in garbage last night . ( I opened it and take the battery out and put it back again and still no work )

I need to know if 720 is better Unit if compared to 730 & 630 ?
please let me know.

Thanks,

Winnie, mvl gave you an accurate answer. The 720 is essentially the same as a 730 once the application (free) is updated and the version 8 maps (which most people have now, I suspect) are installed.

mvl also told you what is given up if a 630 model is used.

Winnie, mvl gave you an accurate answer. The 720 is essentially the same as a 730 once the application (free) is updated and the version 8 maps (which most people have now, I suspect) are installed.

mvl also told you what is given up if a 630 model is used.

OH !!! Sorry , din't see that.
Thanks mvl .

Just bought a 720 . ( 5 months old ) for $90 from a friend .
I already made a back up to my PC and I installed the NA map on the sd card and it also is installed on the unit .
I need to know how to make TT boot from SD card .
Please help me out .

Thanks,

Thanks,

Last edited:
If you copy the application to the SD card, it will boot from the card. If it is on both places, it will still prioritize the SD card.

If you copy the application to the SD card, it will boot from the card. If it is on both places, it will still prioritize the SD card.

Thx mvl

I'm not to sure what you mean by copy the application to the SD card ?
If I'm not wrong you mean copy everything except Map folder ? ( sorry I din't know that )
But it's already on both

The application is comprised of all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents..

See here:
loose_files.jpg

(Ignore reference to deleting....)

The application is comprised of all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents..

See here:
loose_files.jpg

(Ignore reference to deleting....)[/QUOTE

Thanks dhn

But I won't do that without step by step guide .

When mvl said to copy the application, he was referring to JUST the loose files, no folders. Use Explorer and you copy them from the unit to the card.

When mvl said to copy the application, he was r referring to JUST the loose files, no folders. Use Explorer and you copy them from the unit to the card.

OK, Followed the guide you gave me last year by open the NA map folder ---> > North_America.pna. open the file using Notepad, and change the name to 'Sd-NA map' and save the file. it worked.

Now I can switching the map to boot from witout problem .

I really need to know, after I copy everything from internal drive to SD card Can I delete the loose files from internal drive ?

Last edited:
I really need to know, after I copy everything from internal drive to SD card Can I delete the loose files from internal drive ?

Yes, no need to have duplicates. But just in case, back them up to your computer so you can restore them if something breaks.

Yes, no need to have duplicates. But just in case, back them up to your computer so you can restore them if something breaks.

OK thanks for replied.

But now, I'm planning to purchase new map update for my 720 and before doing anything I need to know the guide how to download and install :
I already have the current map installed " North_America_2GB V830.2284
I have 4 GB SD card that content the map that I copy from Internal drive ( my sd card content my favorite file, POI file ) and I want to keep it .

My question :

Do I need to delete the old me from Internal drive before install the new map update ?
I have 2GB in internal drive , is that should be enough for the new map update ?
What can I do for my SD card ? can I make up my POI to my PC and formate it ?

Could you please give me the easy step by step how to do this ?

Thanks,

Are you planning to update your North America 830 map or buy a different one (like Western_Europe 840)?

Am I correct that the NA 830 map is on the 4-gig sdhc card? If so and that is the map you wish to upgrade to 840, make sure you also have a backup on your computer of that map folder.

Now, connect to Home with the sdhc card installed and select the card. Now, go through the purchase process for the NA 840 map. It'll overwrite the existing 830 map on the sdhc card. Next, use Explorer to go to the backed up 830 map on the computer and copy over to the NA 840 map folder on the sdhc card the mapsettings.cfg file. Also, copy from the backed up map any custom .ov2 files (poi files) to the 840 map folder on the sdhc card.

Are you planning to update your North America 830 map or buy a different one (like Western_Europe 840)?

Am I correct that the NA 830 map is on the 4-gig sdhc card? If so and that is the map you wish to upgrade to 840, make sure you also have a backup on your computer of that map folder.

Now, connect to Home with the sdhc card installed and select the card. Now, go through the purchase process for the NA 840 map. It'll overwrite the existing 830 map on the sdhc card. Next, use Explorer to go to the backed up 830 map on the computer and copy over to the NA 840 map folder on the sdhc card the mapsettings.cfg file. Also, copy from the backed up map any custom .ov2 files (poi files) to the 840 map folder on the sdhc card.

My SD card and Internal Drive contented the same Map version ( Nort_America_2GB. V830.2284)
I already back up both of tem to my PC .
I need to buy the latest version ,but I'm not sure it the latert version is NA 840 or not .
If it is the latest version I'll buy it and install to my Internal Drive and make back up then I'll format my SD card and copy the new map from internal drive to my SD card to make it boot from SD card .

I can do that way ?
As I saw the Map of US and Canada. Now on Sale $53.97 (TT website)
Is that the new map NA 840 ?

You do NOT want the map on both internal and the sdhc card. Yes, the latest map is 840.

I suggest you delete the map folder from INTERNAL.

As in my previous post, select the sdhc card when you first log into Home. Purchase the map and install in ON THE CARD. Then make an Explorer backup of the CARD's map folder.

If you want to boot from the card, then as mvl said, it just requires the application on the card. There will be plenty of room for both the application and the 840 map on a 4-gig card.

You do NOT want the map on both internal and the sdhc card. Yes, the latest map is 840.

I suggest you delete the map folder from INTERNAL.

As in my previous post, select the sdhc card when you first log into Home. Purchase the map and install in ON THE CARD. Then make an Explorer backup of the CARD's map folder.

If you want to boot from the card, then as mvl said, it just requires the application on the card. There will be plenty of room for both the application and the 840 map on a 4-gig card.

Ok , that's clear now
But one thing : My SD card that contented the map V830.2284 already
Do I need to delete it first or just insatll to replace the old one ?
I'm asking that becuase I have only 832.1 MB free space left on my SD card .
The New version NA 840.2526 (Size 1617 MB) that won't fit to my SD card .

Last edited:
If you have only 800+ megs left on the card then you must have more than the application and map folder for 830.

Be that as it may, the 840 installation should overwrite the 830 map so you'll still have extra room

Ask a Question