new map 8.25 don't fit on 720

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 720
I paid for the upgraded maps today and after 6 hours of downloading and timeouting it says not enough room of my device. What can I do now? I have deleted the french and spanish vioces for some room but mah this is readdy stupid to say the least they sell you a map that does not fit on your device. I only have 10 favorites saved also so that is not the problem. I have a 2GB standard sd card here I can use but is it to lake?

I need help fast

UPDATE

It still shows I have my old map on the TT device and I need to free up 15??mb of room. I search the device and I do not see a map but the folger NA2gb shows it is 1.9gb in size

What is going on here

Last edited:
It is silly but the fact remains that there is so much additional riff raff involved, that trying to squeeze everything into 2 gigs is achallenge.

Using a sd card of 2 gigs gains nothing because the size of internal is already 2 gigs.

Trust me, get a sdhc card of at least 4-gigs (with firmware 8.302 you can go to 32 gigs ...really!).

You do NOT have to download the zipped map file. It's already on your computer in the download folder designated by the folder location in TomTom Home Tools-->Preferences--> Folder locations.

So...........

Go get a 4 gig sdhc card; they are quite inexpensive these days. Insert the card into your unit and connect using Home which will ask what storage area you want. Select the card.

Now then, use Home to move to items on my computer. You'll find a row item for map. Click on 'more info' to confirm it's the new one. Click on 'add' and install. It'll be put onto the card. Your 720 will work fine with the map on the sdhc card.

That's the way I have mine set up.

Thank you for the reply but now it is going to cost me more money. I paid 100.00 already for the update since I had the 7.15 map. I know I am wihning but you should not have to go buy a SDHC card for a map that is the replacement for you original map.

Maybe not but consider your map is over a year old. Think of all the new roads in north america that have been added in that time. Further, the current map has ALG and Reality View if you have firmware 8.302. That data has to go somewhere. Yes, they've used a stronger compression algorithm to squueze the poi.dat files for the current map but something has to give somewhere.

Think of it like this. Yes, you spent $100. Aren't you willing to pay another $10 bucks or so to get the full use of the map?

Also, with the map subscription series, you are getting 4 updates for what ONE used to cost.

Put things in perspective ......

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap 1 or 2 GB card & move everything else onto it. Voices, in particular, eat up a LOT of available space.

Although I agree with DHN, your best bet is to download the map onto an SDHC card. You should be able to get an 8GB card for ~$15-20 USD or a 16GB card for ~$30-35 USD.

Strangely, I haven't had any problems downloading the subscription maps onto my 720's internal memory. IIRC, the latest 825 maps even have a compressed POI file to save space.

I did a backup restore and reinstall of the 8.302 firmware and it said new map available and it is installing on the device fine:confused: I did remove the french and spanish voices making some more room but I had done this before the last install attempt. After it is on there and working I will make the card transfer:cool:

I have fit the NA_2GB map with ton's of room to spare on my 720's internal memory.

Tomtom pre-loads a bunch of useless stuff (eg: HOME installation application) on the memory. And the Loquendo 6 computer voices are monstrously huge.

Since you're already purchased a map, you could format your tomtom (fat32), and let home reinstall your application, map, and one favorite computer voice. That will give you a clean install with at least 300mb of internal memory free.

Warning to others: maps are not free, don't try the above steps unless you have a recently purchased map in your HOME account, or have manually backed up the map folder.

I paid for the upgraded maps today and after 6 hours of downloading and timeouting it says not enough room of my device. What can I do now? I have deleted the french and spanish vioces for some room but mah this is readdy stupid to say the least they sell you a map that does not fit on your device. I only have 10 favorites saved also so that is not the problem. I have a 2GB standard sd card here I can use but is it to lake?

I need help fast

UPDATE

It still shows I have my old map on the TT device and I need to free up 15??mb of room. I search the device and I do not see a map but the folger NA2gb shows it is 1.9gb in size

What is going on here

I recommend that you delete a few unneeded items....languages or voices that you do not need/use.

Delete the ASR files for state like Alaska an Hawaii, and in your case probably California. This should leave enough room for the 825 map.

I did not even do that.... Ij just erased the entire device and installed everything fresh. (you don't reallly need the sample Audiobooks or MP3s do you?

I just did a backup reinstall and then deleted the french and spanish voices and it fit fine. What is so funny is they were not on the system when I tried to do the first install.

Tha bad part is the bluetooth does not work now. Does not find my phone that I have used since the 720 was new and not it says cannot find a bluetooth device but my phone fines the 720 fine but when you try to connect it says device out of range:mad:

I just did a backup reinstall and then deleted the french and spanish voices and it fit fine. What is so funny is they were not on the system when I tried to do the first install.

Tha bad part is the bluetooth does not work now. Does not find my phone that I have used since the 720 was new and not it says cannot find a bluetooth device but my phone fines the 720 fine but when you try to connect it says device out of range:mad:

In home, go to "add traffic, voices, safety cam, etc". In the next menu, keep hitting more until "items on my computer" shows up. Is there a "phone connection settings" item at the bottom? Try to add it back.

Ask a Question