New 720: Don't want to mess it up. Help please.

I'm very nervous about starting up our new 720. I read the sticky about what to do before using your tomtom but it seems like it an old thread. For example, step #4 states: Turn on your 910. If it needs some juice?put it on the dock and give it some power but DO NOT hook it up to the computer yet. The only dock we have hooks only to the computer via USB. I'm working with a Mac powerbook fyi.
Do I still need to perform this 'back up' that the thread refers to?
What the heck is firmware? and how do I know which version I have?
How do I make sure I have the most up-to-date maps?? (our street is not recognized and it's been here for about 5 years)

I'm a total rookie with the tomtom and not exactly a computer genius..I'm very nervous to mess something up! I need some input for all the experts out there...
Any help appreciated!!

Take a deep breath..........it ain't that hard.

First, use Finder in a Mac to copy all contents of the unit to a folder on the computer. Don't use Home's backup function, it isn't as reliable. For Windows, we advise to make sure hidden folders/files are showing. Don't know the equivalent instruction for a Mac but, whatever it is, do it. :D

Next, you can tell the firmware (operating system on the unit) by tapping the satellite bars. The next screen shows the FIRMWARE version. Okay, tap the version number and the nextscreen shows the map installed, the version and Build number.

Next.....the latest map for a 720 is version 8.15. Not likely that was installed with your unit out of the box. But, you have to upgrade your FIRMWARE to version 8.3 to make use of the map.

I don't know what the FIRMWARE version will show when you tap the satellite bars. It may be 8x but not likely 8.3.

Connect your unit and start Home. You may be offered a newer version of Home. If so, select and install. Then, If your firmware was 8x, it may offer 8.3 as a download. So, accept it.

After that is installed, go to Homes, Tools, Latest Map Guarantee...

You should be offered 8.3 (you have 30 days from 1st use to get that map).

If it offers the map, download it (warning: it may take hours, really) and install.

If all goes well, make ANOTHER Folder complete backup to a different folder on the Mac.

Any problems, come on back!! ;)

ok, I think I need to call someone but when I try to upload the newer version of HOME it gives me an error message and shuts down. The version to upload shows up in the bottom right corner and it's 2.2. When I click it, it opens a new window that looks just like a website with a bunch of different clickable links...it's not focused on HOME but that is an option. It's very confusing... I didn't think you'd need to be uber tech-savy to use a gps.
I hate technology sometimes! If you have any clues I'd appreciate it.
Also, I can't understand how to copy from the unit to a file folder using Finder... No clue.
I guess I should call some tech support...ugh.

Just wanted to share that I called tech support yesterday...After waiting 40minutes on hold I got a woman to help me. I started telling her my problem and she cuts me off to say "Sorry to interrupt m'am but that's your problem right there...you're using the CD that came in the packaging." she was really rude about it too...like i'm an idiot for even thinking to use the CE that *CAME WITH IT*
HUH?
She told me to download HOME from tomtom.com
fine, i did that.
what's up with that? how the hell was i supposed to know to NOT use the information in the package????? My time was wasted....very annoyed.

Sorry for your poor experience. I am a Mac user and would be happy to help you out. One thing I have noticed is when you go to get updates, there are times you get an error code. Just ignore it and try it again (even several times) eventually it works (it does seem better with the current firmware and Home version). When folks say to back up the TT....Create a folder (call it TTbackup) on your Mac (perhaps in the TT folder inside documents). Connect your TT (it will ask if you want to connect to the computer. Click yes. The icon (drive) will show up on your desktop. Open the icon, select all (command-a) and drag the entire contents to the folder you created. This will be your backup.

Now start Home...and off you go.

Ask a Question