Traffic updates in general

TomTom Model(s)
Hi,
It seems there are two ways to do the traffic updates, TT Traffic via phone data link and TMC via FM channel.
I have not been able to get my phone to work with data transfers, using a RZR3.
Does the TMC system work?
Would appreciate any cooments.
Dave

yes it does, see traffic in canada for more info. Your phone should also work , BUT MAKE SURE YOU CALL YOUR CELL PROVIDER AND ASK THEM TO UNLOCK/UNBLOCK/GIVE FULL (or whatever) access to the internet through your phone (explained them to be used as a modem if the CSR does still not get it). Beware of high dat costs in Canada , 10 Mb 10 cad and depending on how often you update or how long your commute and amount of traffic data you could end up going above that 10 Mb plan at the end of the month.

I forgot, you can also use HOME and the OPERATE MY TOMTOM feature and your PC internet conn to see and test the tomtom plus traffic services. (power off your cellphone and you will see it still updates and downloads traffic info BUT ONLY FOR US CITIES) .PLAN A ROUTE TO ROCHESTER AND YOU WILL SEE. It aonly shows trrafic along your route , bu tfirst disanble traffic, then plan the route then enable it again without the option t oautomatically minimize delays checked t obe able t osee it . otherwise tomtom will calculete a rouite without delays AND THEN YOU SEE NOTHING. my 720 started to show it since last nite when i updated to the lates NA 1.7 GB 710.1584 maps (for free , unit less than 10 days old)

I am still sceptical on whether the cellular data option works as well as the traffic receiver option. Will have to order the receiver option which is also a better option since most phones won't allow data and voice to be used at the same time.

Thanks to all for the info.

Nathan...

imho you should not be scheptical , there are several reasons for that:

1st BOTH DELIVERY SYSTEMS relies on the same base data supplied by the same provider in this case Clear Channel's Total Traffic Network.

2nd They are only the Delivery method , they have nothing to do with the traffic info itself, they just delivery it through two different systems.

3rd Cellphone coverage is better and covers almost the entire country while the FM signal only covers certain area depending on factor such as Antena height , Transmiter power and so on.

4rd last but not least , the RDS_TMC standard broadcasted via FM has some limitations due to the nature of the FM signal , bandwith of only 6 mhz, therefore they can only broadcast certain amount of data like only 300 traffic events at any time (enough for now by the way), do not support the transmition of the actual flow speed, can not send extra text or data info. On the contrary the Cellphone internet based service tomtom plus could potentially send whatever amount of data they want , the catch is that you have to pay to download that extra info to your cell provider.

It is true that most phones do not allow data and voice conn at the same time but think about , first while you drive safetywise you are not suppose to have lengthy conversations over the phone even with a handsfree option so as soon after you hang up , tomtom can download the next traffic update and usually it only takes a few seconds.

but again this is a free country and anyone can do whatever they want.

Last edited:
My solution all be it strange is to turn the bluetooth on for just a short while to get the update and then turn it off. It gets the traffic update but everything I want to update I have to turn the bluetooth back on. I have tried doing this through the TomTom by turning off the data feed but it still seems to hang the (unsupported) Motorola Q on (unsupported) Bell. I say unsupported as I don't want others to think badly of the TomTom. I love it and it's the perfect GPS for a geek who wants to know what is going on.

Of course this forum feeds the geek in me to know all the answers.

Nathan...

and the geek in me too!!!!! lol lol lol. will it download again all the traffic events when you turn bluetooth back on or only the new events? too bad you phone is not fully supported yet.

My solution all be it strange is to turn the bluetooth on for just a short while to get the update and then turn it off. It gets the traffic update but everything I want to update I have to turn the bluetooth back on. I have tried doing this through the TomTom by turning off the data feed but it still seems to hang the (unsupported) Motorola Q on (unsupported) Bell. I say unsupported as I don't want others to think badly of the TomTom. I love it and it's the perfect GPS for a geek who wants to know what is going on.

Of course this forum feeds the geek in me to know all the answers.

Nathan...

You could always change the update frequency on the TT so it only updates every 10(20,30, etc) minutes. I have a Q (Verizon), and have mine updating every 2 minutes. I am able to receive calls and if I'm on a call when the 2 minutes arrives, it simply wont update, but will try again in 2 minutes.

Good idea. Not sure if it updates all the traffic updates as I haven't seen any traffic yet. I am skeptical because of what you said earlier about the traffic updates only working in the US when you use Home 2.x.

Will let you know if I ever see traffic. Don't drive in traffic that much but tests across the city in rush hour have not given me anything. Also got no traffic while in Montreal and passed 2 bad accidents and a big rain storm (doubled travel time).

N...

riptorn: Did you see the Snow close to Barrie reported early this morning via Tomtom plus traffic? It showed 4 red triangles with an icon of a snow flake south-west of Barrie. That is all we get for traffic here in Canada so far.

Davethebrit: The closest traffic to Valencia, CA that Tomtom traffic plus reports is for the Los Angeles area. With RDS-TMC it will be the same I guess . Check the TTN webpage for coverage map www.realtimetraffic.net

Ask a Question