TOMTOM XL IQR Frozen

Hmm, so we are back to the original problem of Home not offering any updates. :(

Put the "ttsystem" file back again then, so at least that bit is right.

Don't waste time on the "ephem" and "ephemeris" folders... they are just where the "GPSQuickfix" files are stored when they get downloaded by Home (they speed up satellite acquisition a bit)

"ephem" is the name of the folder on the TomTom and "ephemeris" is the name of the folder on your PC. Not haveing the "ephem" folder should not stop the device booting up or being usable.

Thanks for the info its good to know what they are for :)

I will put the "ttsystem" back in now.

Same condition as before :(

It seems strange that when It has the map on screen It will let me press the screen for volume adjust (bottom left of screen) and status summary (bottom right of screen) and map zoom top left/right without any problems.

Where abouts in the UK are you dazla?

Maybe as a last-ditch attempt you could get it to me and I could have a play with it?

He's closer to Newcastle than London, Andy, but perhaps you guys can work something out.

Unfortunately I'm in the North East :( A town called Stanley

I've got no problems in posting it to you though.

Lets face it if you cant get it going no one can so i'd be more than happy to post it.If that's acceptable to you of course.

Little update for you. The 1st time after re-installing "ttsystem" (may have just been lucky) after adjusting the volume and then looking at the status summary it gave me the 1st page of the main menu screen, although were the pictures/icons are above the options there was only a blank squares??? I tried to select the next page via the white square in the bottom right which is the arrow I presume but it just froze again.

As I say Andy_P i'm more than prepared to send it to you all at my cost of course.

If Steven wouldn't be vacationing in Florida right now, maybe he could have dropped by on his deliveries (only 10 -15 miles away).
;->)

If Steven wouldn't be vacationing in Florida right now, maybe he could have dropped by on his deliveries (only 10 -15 miles away).
;->)

Arno my friend, Is Steve on vacation in Florida from the UK? If so I hope he's having a great time. Although I will say he's a little bit inconsiderate swanning off across the big pond when I'm obviously in dire need of his help :lol::lol: How very dare he :lol::lol: Only joking Steve :D

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to deal with this. I'm thinking we are all hitting a brick wall now, which is exactly whats going to happen with my XL :mad:

I'm thinking about maybe buying a screen damaged XL off a well known auction site and putting my good screen on to that. That's more my type of thing. Looks easy enough.

What do you think about using this "FLASH TOOL" and starting from scratch. I've already made backups of everything so surely Its worth giving it a go? Maybe?

Your thoughts please gents :D

Me thinks your best bet is to take Andy up on his kind offer.

Me thinks the same :)

I've been playing with the damn thing today and I think I've got an idea of what it is :(

I was told by our good friend Andy_P that when I downloaded the Software (Navcore)
there would be 51 files and there was.

However I have just counted how many there are on the device and I stopped counting after 90 :confused:

So I'm thinking start the whole procedure again :) its a good way to learn if nothing else. I've got my backup so I can always return to present condition if I'm wrong (very likely) :lol:

When unzipping and installing manually, one has to be careful to retain the folder structure that exists in the zip file. If not, and everything unpacks to the root of the device, it's a mess, and one just starts over.

Yes, good spotting! I think that the 'unzipper' used may not be honouring the folder structure of the zipped contents. WinRar will.......

When unzipping and installing manually, one has to be careful to retain the folder structure that exists in the zip file. If not, and everything unpacks to the root of the device, it's a mess, and one just starts over.

Yes, good spotting! I think that the 'unzipper' used may not be honouring the folder structure of the zipped contents. WinRar will.......

Gents,

I used WinRAR when I downloaded the Navcore?

Thinking about what I said in my previous post :-

I was told by our good friend Andy_P that when I downloaded the Software (Navcore)
there would be 51 files and there was.

However I have just counted how many there are on the device and I stopped counting after 90

I'm now thinking that the extra folders will be previous downloads/map updates possibly, made by the original owner of my device (I purchased it of a friend of mine)

Could this be correct? I will see what folders I have that are different to the Navcore and post them on here :)

Here are the different folders/files

[B]Device[/B]

Folder/files
bin/3
contact/0
ephem/2
Europ_1GB_West/22
gl/this contains folder log(empty)
gns/1
itn/1
licences/24
logging/0
loquendo/2
maps/1
poi/2
script/1
statdata/2
TomTom cfg/1
voices/6
zip/6

Navcore

Folders/files

bin/3
cp/6
gns/1
licences/24
script/1
TomTomcfg/1

I know that emphem is quickfix and I suppose maps/poi/sounds/voices/Europ_1GB_ are self explanatory its the likes of logging/itn/gl I'm unsure about.

Can you see any issues here?

Last edited:
Bit of confusion, I guess. What you have there isn't just the firmware, it's the EU map and all. Your folder structure looks pretty normal from here. The question is, what files are in the root of your device now (not in folders). That's where all of the unit's firmware lands.

I,m just going through them now.

There is 13 loose files not in a folder in the Navcore download, and there is 19 loose files on the device Hmmmm that cant be right????

I,m going through them now to see/spot any duplicates/differences?

Just a quick question In the device the loose files are 1st but on the navcore the loose files come after the folders?
Does this matter?

The extra loose files on the device are:- userpatch.dat
tthome.bif
ttsystem
ttgo.bif
signpost_li.txt
setting.dat
restart.dat
PNDNavigator
mctx.dat
install.bif
currentmap.dat
CurrentLocation.dat

I dont know what should be there or not :confused:

Last edited:
I hesitate to list everything on my XL, because it has a few extra logging files on it, but if I compare it to your latest list of loose files, the big thing missing on yours is data.chk (plus a load of other .chk files)

Did that just get missed off your list, or is it really missing?

The software link I sent you (for v9.465) should have extracted to the following:

4161d1366747619-tomtom-xl-iqr-frozen-xl_v9_folder_file_list.jpg

That's what I get if I use WinRar to do the extraction.

Anything extra must be leftovers from before (unless you've connected to Home since and that has added some more stuff?)

I think you should have one more go deleting everything "loose" and replacing it with exactly what's on my pic, and then if that doesn't work, we'll talk about getting it to me for a look-see (no promises of success!)

Attachments

• XL_v9_Folder_file_list.jpg
    XL_v9_Folder_file_list.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 448
Hi Andy,

I've just looked at the downloaded Navcore in WinRar and it is exactly the same as what you have, and all the files you mention are in the device/unit also. The device has got all the files and folders that Navcore has but as you say there is more probably from updates and so on.

I've just deleted all the loose files from my device and only have files remaining, namely these:-

cp
ephem
Europe_1GB_West
gl
gns
itn
licences
logging
LoquendoTTS
maps
poi
script
sounds
statdata
TomTom-cfg
voices
zip

I wiill re-install Navcore and see how we go :)

Welcome back :D

Right all done.

All the folders and files are back in the device.

Unfortunately its the same condition :sad:

Just to be clear Andy when you say exactly the same as your pic you just mean the loose files. Although WinRar has just asked me if I wanted to replace all of the folders in your pic (I said yes) basically overwriting them????

I would be really grateful if you would have a mess about with it. I understand no promises :)

Just to be clear Andy when you say exactly the same as your pic you just mean the loose files. Although WinRar has just asked me if I wanted to replace all of the folders in your pic (I said yes) basically overwriting them????

Er yes, I think so.....

I would be really grateful if you would have a mess about with it. I understand no promises :)

OK lets sort something out between us.

Ask a Question