TomTom Rider 2 post code problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tom-tom rider 2 that has worked perfectly since purchased new a few years ago. I recently updated the map package and performed an online software update. Since then the post code search facility does not work. The problem is that the "space key" has disappeared and has been replace with a decimal point key; to explain further, a UK post code of TR12 3PH would have been entered as TR12 space 3PH. As the space key is no longer there I cannot enter the full code. The device will not except the complete code with no space and the new decimal point key does nothing. I have tried to re install on line update and have performed a soft reset using a paper clip in the reset hole. I now have a device that is useless unless I have a full postal address to input. As I live in deepest Cornwall this is a real problem as so many of the rural roads are un named. Anybody seen a similar problem or have any ideas?

Hi dickylewis and welcome to TTF.

There should be numerous resources on how to solve this - here is some discussion which may help.

Good luck!

You surprise me with mention of needing the space key. I've never owned a Rider, but of the dozen or more other TomToms that have passed through my hands, not one of them has needed a space between the two parts of the postcode.

You're obviously missing the correct postcode files (in a folder called "zip"), and there have been a few reports on the various forums of this happening on a map or software update.

The link alfie gives provides some advice, but if you want a rather better version, written for the UK user, try my topic here:

How To Install The Latest Postcode Files

Let us know how you get on... :)

You surprise me with mention of needing the space key. I've never owned a Rider, but of the dozen or more other TomToms that have passed through my hands, not one of them has needed a space between the two parts of the postcode.

You're obviously missing the correct postcode files (in a folder called "zip"), and there have been a few reports on the various forums of this happening on a map or software update.

The link alfie gives provides some advice, but if you want a rather better version, written for the UK user, try my topic here:

How To Install The Latest Postcode Files

Let us know how you get on... :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes; you do need a space for the UK postcode and it seems I am not alone with my problem. I have trawled the forum and several members have EXACTLY the same snag. Seems like if you want to improve your TomTom product you simply go their web site; they then furnish a download that completely buggers up your nav kit and then you have o go buy a Garmin Zumo to make life rosy again.... sad, but seemingly true as TomTom don't appear to give a toss when they mess things up. Hey Ho... only ?350 quid wasted!!

Don't give up yet....

Now I occurs to me there may be two things happening at once here...
1. Maybe you used to need a space but now you don't
2. Maybe you've also lost the postcode files during the software update

... and it's #2, not #1 that is stopping it working for you.

Maybe you still have the postcode files, or maybe you've just reinstalled them, but you haven't said.....

So can you just confirm: do you have a folder called "zip" on the Rider and does it have at least two files in it called "Great_BritainPostal" and "Great_BritainPostal.ver"?

-----------------------

If you don't have that folder and files, install them from the link and re-test.

IF you do have that folder and files, read on.

I'm guessing you didn't make any sort of a backup BEFORE you updated the map and software?

If you had, it might be a simple matter to roll back to the earlier software (assuming it was new enough to work with the latest maps).

That's why we bang on about making backups so much on all the user forums.

Make one now anyway (with Windows Explorer not Home), if we are going to start tinkering.

Do you know what software version you used to have?

We may be able to provide a download link for you to install it manually.

Last edited:
TomTom Rider 2 post codes

AAAAAAAgggghhhhhhh. This is driving me mad. I have read all the advice; performed all the "fixes" and the bloody post code search still does not work. The problem occurred when I loaded the map upgrade. Seems like there are lot of angry bikers having exactly the same problem. My first question is: "why does TomTom not admit they have caused this???" My second is "when are you gong to sort it out???" My third is "why doesn't TomTom realise that some of us use Apple Mac computers so a Windows fix is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard?" I am getting so angry that I may just buy a map!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek:

Last edited:
If you do a search on 'Unarchiver', it's apparently a utility that does the same for a Mac as Winzip does for a pc operating system.

You should be able to extract the postal code files using it and use Finder to copy to the zip folder on your unit.

Zip Folder

Please, please no more advice to copy zip folders....... I have done EVERYTHING you could imagine with ZIP folders short of shoving them where the sun don't shine!!!!!:eek:

Postcodes

The more I think about this, the more it irritates me. The whole concept of a "Forum" to sort out a manufactures crappy software development seems ludicrous! Why does TomTom not just sort this out. I kick myself that I did not spend the extra few quid on a fully sorted Garmin in the first place: I now understand why the Zumo costs more...... the bloody thing works!!!!!! I am grateful for the helpful comments however I think TomTom should be more proactive to sort this. I now own a ?400 paperweight which used to be an excellent piece of navigational equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question