TOMTOM Go Live 2050 not recognised by any computer

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 2050
I am desperate...I need my GPS for work...paramedic...and it now wont connect to the computer, mac or PC. The computer icon comes up on the tomtom screen but the device is not recognised on the actual computer. Tomtom tech was really lovely but said the tomtom was US...it still works fine, jusdt can't update maps or traffic LIVE (essential) at all.
Any thoughts? Thanx in advance...

You are using MyDrive with the device, or trying to, correct?

Using the cable that came with the device?

What operating system are you running on the PC?

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds and then connect to the PC and start MyDrive.

Finally, try NOT using a usb 3 port on the computer.

It may be only that the MyDrive application isn't automatically coming up if the browser is already running, or that it isn't automatically initiating a browser launch. With your 2050 connected, and using the PC (it's what I'm most familiar with), assure that the 'MyDrive Connect' (or if its been ages since you updated the app, the 'My TomTom' - I will hereafter assume you have the newer app and I will use the MyDrive Connect name) systray icon is present. If so, the computer has recognized the device, but the application has not auto-launched a browser page. If your browser isn't running, launch it manually. Then right click the icon and select the top item 'MyDrive'.

If the systray icon is NOT present, then the MyDrive Connect application is not running. Locate it on your PC. It is called MyDriveConnect.exe, and should be in an application folder called MyDrive Connect. Double click on that to manually execute it. Watch to assure that the systray icon appears and continue from there.

If the systray icon already appears, but it does not seem that the device is recognized (selecting MyDrive Connect from the systray icon brings up a browser screen indicating that the device is not connected), then we have a somewhat larger problem that I will address -- but not unless we find that's the ditch you're in.

I am desperate...I need my GPS for work...paramedic...and it now wont connect to the computer, mac or PC. The computer icon comes up on the tomtom screen but the device is not recognised on the actual computer. Tomtom tech was really lovely but said the tomtom was US...it still works fine, jusdt can't update maps or traffic LIVE (essential) at all.
Any thoughts? Thanx in advance...
I agree with the advice previously given, and will only add two things.

First, even if the USB cable you are using is the original factory cable, make sure that your cable still works for data transfer by using it with another device.

Second, if you have changed computers since the last time you did an update, make sure that you are connected to a USB2 port, not a USB3 port. As dhn said above, use of a USB3 port may cause issues.

- Tom -

It may be only that the MyDrive application isn't automatically coming up if the browser is already running, or that it isn't automatically initiating a browser launch. With your 2050 connected, and using the PC (it's what I'm most familiar with), assure that the 'MyDrive Connect' (or if its been ages since you updated the app, the 'My TomTom' - I will hereafter assume you have the newer app and I will use the MyDrive Connect name) systray icon is present. If so, the computer has recognized the device, but the application has not auto-launched a browser page. If your browser isn't running, launch it manually. Then right click the icon and select the top item 'MyDrive'.

If the systray icon is NOT present, then the MyDrive Connect application is not running. Locate it on your PC. It is called MyDriveConnect.exe, and should be in an application folder called MyDrive Connect. Double click on that to manually execute it. Watch to assure that the systray icon appears and continue from there.

If the systray icon already appears, but it does not seem that the device is recognized (selecting MyDrive Connect from the systray icon brings up a browser screen indicating that the device is not connected), then we have a somewhat larger problem that I will address -- but not unless we find that's the ditch you're in.

Thanx Canderson...I am at the 'ditch section of yor awesome post...all other areas tried several times. its been working up till now with all connections, cables and computers exzctly the same...no jupdates etc. Can you tell me your 'ditch' answer? I would be very grateful.

OK. I assume that this means that
a) you have the systray icon in place in the lower right
b) selecting MyDrive Connect from the icon's menu brings up a screen that says no device connected

First, can you provide the specific wording that occurs on the browser screen, and the wording of the status under the device model number at the top of the systray icon's menu when you right click it?

When you plug your unit into your PC, do you ever hear any of the tones that are normally used indicate that some sort of USB device has been connected? Any tone? Can be either the ding-DING or the failure dong-dong-dong, Anything?

Do other devices (e.g., a thumb drive or camera or whatever) connect normally when connected to the physical port you are using for your 2050's USB cable?

The most likely reason that the device is not connecting to a system running OSX El Capitan is that TomTom has not 'signed' the kernel extension USBEthernetGadget (and others ?).

Despite providing a snippet from a console log that clearly shows the above error, TomTom has been particularly unhelpful and refuses to accept that the problem lies in its court.

The console log from a system running OSX 10.11.2 and TomTom MyDrive Connect version 4.0.7.2513 shows...

15/12/2015 09:56:07.821 com.apple.kextd[66]: Untrusted kexts are not allowed
15/12/2015 09:56:07.822 com.apple.kextd[66]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.tomtom.driver.UsbEthernetGadget, will not load

Considering that this is the 'driver' that provides the communication link between the device and the system and it is not being loaded then there is no way that the device can be recognised and updated.

Perhaps something similar is true for MS Windows 10.

Last edited:

Ask a Question