Tech Support screwed up my TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1535
A tech at tom tom told me to put the north america 2gb map back on the internal memory. I told her it wouldn't fit, but she insisted it would. Well not only did it not fit......she had me reformat my SD card. What files do I need on the SD card to have the map function from the SD card? Do I only need the map on it?

Last edited:
A tech at tom tom told me to put the north america 2gb map back on the internal memory. I told her it wouldn't fit, but she insisted it would. Well not only did it not fit......she had me reformat my SD card. What files do I need on the SD card to have the map function from the SD card? Do I only need the map on it?

Just the "North_America_2GB" folder is all that needs to be on the SD card. The app can reside on internal memory.

Thanks Sageuvagony, I was a little scared when the unit wouldn't boot at all!!!

I've messed with operating systems on other devices like MP3 players and installing linux and such on them, but the problem with many devices is that you have a chance of bricking the device to the point where it can't be recovered.

These TomTom's are almost impossible to brick. By deleting the software alone you cannot brick the device. I have actually formatted both the SD card and Internal memory at the same time just to see if the Home software can recover the device from scratch, and it sure can. It will reinstall the map and OS fresh. The trick is deciding what to install where. I have a 4GB SDHC card, so what I did is just installed EVERYTHING onto the SD card (os+map+everything) so it makes life easier for me for when I have to "select device"

The beauty of GO models is that you can mix and match files between SD and internal memory, and the device will read from both at the same time.

Always make sure to make backups as well just in case.

I've messed with operating systems on other devices like MP3 players and installing linux and such on them, but the problem with many devices is that you have a chance of bricking the device to the point where it can't be recovered.

These TomTom's are almost impossible to brick. By deleting the software alone you cannot brick the device. I have actually formatted both the SD card and Internal memory at the same time just to see if the Home software can recover the device from scratch, and it sure can. It will reinstall the map and OS fresh. The trick is deciding what to install where. I have a 4GB SDHC card, so what I did is just installed EVERYTHING onto the SD card (os+map+everything) so it makes life easier for me for when I have to "select device"

The beauty of GO models is that you can mix and match files between SD and internal memory, and the device will read from both at the same time.

Always make sure to make backups as well just in case.

I think the only way to brick it is to reset or turn it off while it's updating the bootloader.

Ask a Question