tomtom has hired dumbos for tech support!!

TomTom Model(s)
:mad:
it seems that tomtom has somehow managed to get the most dumbos they could get to qualify as their tech support... they have no idea abouth the product line... it takes at least 10 minutes hold time for them to pull up a very basic information and then they come up with the wrong information!!! and i have had 3 such bad experiences already
just a simple question as what is the exact version of maps for tomtom 720 took her 10 minutes to find it out and then she did her research and told me that 7.21 is the one that comes as the latest one if you want to purchase it.... and then i told her i have 30 day latest map guarantee... then she goes like "oh in that case, 7.1 is the latest version for download" .
"huh, i have 30 day latest map guarantee".....
" oh, that is different... you get different stuff for purchasing"
"so why do you say customers have 30 day map guarantee?"
"err....what does it say on your tomtom 720 sir?"
i told her what it came with was 705.
"oh... that is the latest map sir, you have the most uptodate version.... "
"you just told me that 7.1 is the latest?"
"oh, that is for purchasing"
"huh, you just told me that 7.2 something is for purchasing and 7.1 is for downloading"
"i'm sorry, what?"
"yeah... thats what you told me"
"let me verify..."
another 10 minutes go on...then after her extensive research, she comes up with...
"ok, so it is 7.1 and you can download it"
"ok.. when the tomtom came, it had 705.xxxx map version on it... can you please tell me what is the exact version number as of now for download... with those last 4 digits included?"
"oh... we just call it 7.1. i dont know anything other than that" (what is your job again, miss....i'm just curious!:rolleyes: )
"i was checking your website for the latest map update and..."
"our website for map has been down for a month" (Thanks!)
"...and i found that the latest is 710 from the UK website...but i couldnt get the last 4 digits of the map..."
"you know that tomtom originally started in europe, right? They have more maps for europe ...so they have different versions in UK and USA"(What !!! they have different NA maps in UK and USA?)
"oh... but i checked the UK website for USA maps... thats where i found this. can you please refer it for me?"

"all right... can you put me on hold?" (yeah... i cant hold you anymore dear:mad: )
another 10 minutes....
"ok so the latest version is 7.1... the last 4 digits depend on the tomtom 720 model...it is just for us to know the date of manufacturing... it is the same map"
"what??? so you are saying that even though the map version numbers are different, it is the same map?" (so why would you put different version numbers on the map? just to know the date of manufacturing for the tomtom:eek: that is evident on the device code... you dont have to put differnt version numbers on map for that, dumbo!)
"yes, sir"
"oh ok... thanks... i think i got the information... "

how do you qualify as a tech support????:mad:

Last edited:
They don't make much money.:D
By the way here is a good place to ask questions, in case you are stuck with them.

:mad:
how do you qualify as a tech support????:mad: has that stuff between your 2 ears ever been functional for any higher purposes of life???????????

Why insult her intelligence? Ever consider the possibility that she could be a new hire working with a very basic set of instructions? I bet if somebody else has those same questions tomorrow or next week, she'll handle them a lot faster.

Why insult her intelligence? Ever consider the possibility that she could be a new hire working with a very basic set of instructions? I bet if somebody else has those same questions tomorrow or next week, she'll handle them a lot faster.

hmm... may be i was a little irritated by her care free answers. she sounded like she didnt care much for what i wanted to know...Besides, all a customer wants to know is if he is getting the right answers from the support team of the product for which he paid a pretty good money...i dont have to know what her experience is!

Thanks for the helping hand,lec!!:)

and i forgot to add the sentence that she told me in the first post -

"...they have more maps for europe..."

what does that mean?????? Does that mean tomtom does not care much about the USmarket??? Or was it just a carefree answer from a lousy tech support?

Last edited:
My experience shows that the cs techs are very good at reading standard answers and you can confuse them without much trouble. What gets me is that even if they don't answer or solve your issue they want to know if his has been an exceptional service experience.
:eek:

I just called customer service earlier this week and had a great time! The girl working at tomtom was very nice; we chatted about the weather there in new york compared to here in L.A., talked about my website and email address, and she got me the 30 day map no problem. Maybe you get what you give. Spread the love :p

getting the 30 day map update - you dont need to chat with tech support for that, just use your tomtom home for that.... just wanted to verify the discrepancy found in the version numbers of map for 720.... 710.1584 or is it 710.17xx...
you are right, douglar, about what you said. but, what if she is talking about things that she is not sure of and keeps on misleading others?:(

Be firm but also be very polite. CSR's sometimes go above the call of duty when the customer is polite.

However, there is no excuse for CSRs giving out misinformation, none, period.

Whether it's their own fault for just being incompetent or TT's fault for poorly training them, doesn't matter... wrong is wrong.

Consumers should never accept poor service no matter what the reason.

Ask a Question