920(T) Voice Breakup - Terrible Tech Support

My experience with TomTom's tech support has been underwhelming due to their lackluster ability to comprehend, or directly address the problem that had been asked. I was wondering if anyone out there had the same experience I have had, or if any one has the solution to this problem: The computer vioce breaks up after upgrading to Version:920(T) Voice Breaks after last update to App version 8.3.

Here's the exact corrspondence I have had with TomTom since attempting to resolve this problem:

920(T) Voice Breaks after last update to App version 8.3. Why? How do I fix i...

Discussion Thread
Customer (xxxxxx) 02/13/2009 12:30 AM
Is this the best non-answer tech support has? I have already specified all of the above. I will contact the Better Business Bureau to file a formal complaint, and I will recommend all users on the TomTom forum to do the same. Oh, and by the way I am a VP of IS, and have over 30 years of hardware/OS/and apps development. The answers from this web site are totally void of a technical response, and totally unsatisfactory as well. I will forward this corrspondence to the BBB, the TomTom Users forum, and to TomTom's competitiors marketing departments.

Response (ST Gloria) 02/12/2009 03:39 PM
Dear xxx,

Thank you so much for your reply and information. Francis, if you would be so kind, please send us the following information. This will better enable us to assist you. To locate this information, please follow the steps below. We offer step by step instructions guiding you through the following link:

- http://www.tomtom.com/6166

- Please view pictures #2 and #3 to locate the application and map version on your device.

- In TomTom HOME, select Help --> About TomTom HOME and this is where you will find the version of software on
HOME.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Gloria
TomTom Customer Support

Customer (xxxxx) 02/09/2009 02:42 AM
I did all of the above, before I entered my original problem. Instead of the canned decision logic table response from a receptionist, is anyone really working on this problem. The TOMTOM forum is ablaze with the computer voice breaking up bug in the software. Go to the TomTom Forum, and see what I am talking about.

Auto-Response 01/26/2009 12:22 PM
Dear Mr xxx,

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you. We have not heard back from you and the incident is now closed. If you still require assistance we?d be happy to continue to service you. Simply create a new incident under our Support Section or call us via 1-866-486-6866.

Thank you and Best Regards,
The TomTom Customer Support Team

Response (ST Ana) 01/23/2009 01:08 PM
Dear xxx,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the stuttering voice on the TomTom GO 920. My name is Ana. We are always happy to help. We understand the frustration such an issue might cause.

We offer step by step instructions on our website that will guide you through resolving the issue until the update is released. Please click on the link below to view the information. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser.

http://www.tomtom.com/10335

If you require further assistance after reviewing the information, please email or call us at 866 486 6866 Monday through Friday 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Ana
TomTom Customer Support

Should you wish to update your TomTom Question, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website and do the following:

- Click on 'Support'

- Select 'My Questions History'

- Click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'

You can also attach documents to the question by doing the following:

- Click on 'Browse'

- Find the document you wish to attach to the question, then click on 'Add Attachment'

Customer (xxxx) 01/18/2009 11:23 PM
920(T) Voice Breaks after last update to App version 8.3.
Why?
How do I fix it? OR
When will TomTom fix it?
Name = TomTom GO 920
Device Code = AK8S2AAFUE
Serial number = M81467B00411

Auto-Response 01/18/2009 11:23 PM
Title: How do I download and install voices?
Link: http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bi...pup_adp.php?p_faqid=7849&p_created=1192724875

Title: Turning sound on/off.
Link: http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bi...pup_adp.php?p_faqid=9543&p_created=1204850261

Title: Where can I find my device code?
Link: http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bi...pup_adp.php?p_faqid=7365&p_created=1182874582

Title: How do I download the voice(s) I purchased from Navtones?
Link: http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bi...pup_adp.php?p_faqid=6303&p_created=1159444361

Title: How to navigate using Zip (Postal) Code
Link: http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bi...pup_adp.php?p_faqid=9865&p_created=1215450198

File Attachments
? My-920T.txt

It's a known issue on this forum. Tomtom has been aware of it for a while, but still no official fix yet. See below for workarounds:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=14020

The technical cause is never stated, but it's pretty obvious to me. App 8.300 uses more CPU cycles than the 400mhz tomtom processors have capacity to handle. Tomtom must be code-optimizing (the hardest stuff for developers, in my opinon), which is why it's taking so long for a fix.

Last edited:
is it just me?

it seems to me that most of the time my tomtom stutters its because the battery is getting low (and charging..) and whenever it fully charged and connected to a power source, the less of a chance of stuttering,

so based on what i am seeing. i am guessing that the processor starts to clock down when your battery is low, and that is what is causing the stuttering problem

Others have reported that as well; unfortunately, some who never use just battery power get the stuttering.

I have a 930 and it is doing the same thing,it is never running on battery and it stutters all the time . I changed the voice and no change to the problem.

No stuttering so far with 8.301

I've been running version 8.301 for a couple of days and no stuttering so far. We'll have to give it a few more days to make sure.

I've never had any problems with TomTom's tech support, tech support told me to roll back to an older ver. and no more sttutering, I'll see and wait how this ver.8.301 goes with you guys

Yesterday I decided to try the update (8.301) with version 7 voice
(so I go from 8.320 to 8.301)
So far, there is no voice breakup(I tried 4 10-mile trips, seems fine to me)
I will continues and post update after this week of usage

8.301 does not fix the bug either

I downlaoded the new version 8.301, and it worked fine for five minutes. The voice started breaking up again. I do not use the battery, and I am always plugged into the cars power. Anyone have any suggestions? I need a fix before the summer, because I will be making a cross-country trip, If no fix is available I may have to purchase a Garmin, and consider the TomTom a bad investment.

Are we talking 8.301 or 8.302 here???

8.302 was released yesterday and I've seen no reports so far of anyone either here in North America or on the European forums I look in on that still has the stuttering.........

Not that it isn't happening, I just have seen no reports.

8.320 is for a different model tomtom. A "Work" unit specially designed for fleet vehicles. It has been out for months, reduces 90% of stuttering, but is not officially supported by tomtom on GO models.

8.302 is the official stuttering fix released a few days ago. No one so far has reported a single stutter on this application. The only issues reported so far are no "Operate My Go" in tomtom HOME (typical for the first weeks after a new firmware release), and the removal of manual bluetooth data configuration. It is officially supported by Tomtom.

I presently have 8.320 installed on my 920. Can someone tell me now how to get the 8.302 installed. As when I connect the 920 to the PC and the Home program it reports that the unit is up to date.
TIA

Well I installed the 8.302 version which is supposed to fix the stuttering. I tried it after it was installed and it worked fine for about 20 minutes and then it just cut out completely....no speech whatsoever. I started over and it only lasted about 10 seconds and cut out. I did this 4 times with the same results and I finally gave up. :mad:

I am extremely disappointed in the 920. First the stuttering and now this. My husband wanted me to buy a Garmin and I sure wish I had. Doubt he'll buy me one now.

Good luck to everyone else who has the 920.

Were you running on battery power alone and no car charger connected? one thing the Navcore 8,302 does is to cut the spoken output when the battery drops below a certain level, they do supply a car charger with the device for a reason and it should be used - Mike

Ask a Question