Live traffic problems or lazy tech support?

So, I bought my first TomTom yesterday: the Go 740 Live. After installing Home and updating the maps and software, I took it out for a spin and found that the traffic service believes that my subscription has expired. I called Tech Support and confirmed that all of the other services (weather, google) work fine. After telling me to perform a hard reset (losing all of my settings and addresses that I had entered that day) he went to confirm service in my area (Dallas, TX). Upon return, he said that there is a problem with my software version and to wait until next week to upgrade to the working version.

I decided to check these forums to see how long this has been going on, but have been unable to find any reference to the issue. My question is this: is there an actual issue, or was this guy just trying to get rid of me?

Welcome to TTF.

Look for either supermod, Gatorguy, or mvl to respond to this thread within the next 24 hours. Gator had a 740 and mvl has it now. :D

So, either should be able to assist.

Check back.

I have the exact same problem I have been working with TomTom since I purchased my Go 740 TM Live on June 4. At one point they were going to replace it, now I am waiting for a callback from their "Escalation team." Everything else works, why not traffic.

First they said it was an issue with the new maps so I downgraded back to the version that the item came with (I backed it up with Windows Explorer before doing anything else.) This did not resolve the issue.

Next they said it was the installed software so I uninstalled the application form the device and downloaded it again through Home. No go, same problem. In fact the application that I got from TomTom was an older version than what was shipped on my unit. As of Tuesday evening it looks like the newest software was not yet on TomTom's servers.

I won't have much to offer on this one. I've heard that a newer application was imminent several weeks ago, but I haven't heard anymore since then. There was also some rumor of Tomtom changing their live traffic service to include more data from Inrix and renaming it to HDTraffic. Again, there's been no more word on whether or if that's part of their current plans. Perhaps MVL or another member knows something more about it, but outside of something official from TomTom I just won't be much help.It really sounds like a TomTom network or software issue rather than any hardware problem with your 740. They don't have the best track record with their live services reliability here in the US.

TomTom 740 Live Traffic Problem

Hey Guys,

I have had the 740 for 3 days now and I am having the same issues with Traffic updates.
Every other LIVE service works perfectly. I checked the "TomTom Account" and all services are valid.
I spoke with a customer server rep yesterday and he was aware of some problems with the traffic server, but he did not hear about the "subscription expired" message when trying to display traffic.

I will follow up on Monday and hope for the best!

Right now I am on my 4th Go live 740tm with the traffic issue. However on 2 of these gps's the problem started before the 850 map update immediately after I linked the device to a new email account that I created on TT Home and the traffic on the other 2 quit working within 4 hours after installing the 850 map update. I have probably spent a total of 3 1/2 hours on the phone with TomTom CS.

One of the techs that I spoke told me that there is a problem with the new application 9.053. I don't think that they really know at this point what is causing the problem.

They keep wanting to RMA the units and I said no way, as each one was only a day old. It is much easier and quicker to return it to the store that I bought it from and exchange it for another rather than send it back to TomTom and have to wait a couple of weeks to get it back and then on top of that it would most likely be a refurbished unit.

At the moment the 5th unit has been linked to a new email address and is working good so far, but I don't think that will last long.

I would take it back and exchange it for another. The live traffic on the 740 works until you link it with your account on the TT server. I know this for a fact since I have already returned 4 units the live traffic issue. All other services work well. TomTom did not beleive me when I told them when I was getting the traffic service expiration message while the other services were working.

my live traffic continues to work. my experience is the traffic server can never reassign an email with an active subscription to a diff device until the sub expires. so if you get a new device you need to use a new email. gmail has an autoforward feature so i set up a new gmail acct and forward mail to my regular acct.

my live traffic continues to work. my experience is the traffic server can never reassign an email with an active subscription to a diff device until the sub expires. so if you get a new device you need to use a new email. gmail has an autoforward feature so i set up a new gmail acct and forward mail to my regular acct.

That's good to know, if I decide to purchase a replacement. However, this is my first device and I created a new account when I installed home. There was no active subscription associated with my email because the account never existed.

Thanks for the suggestion!

have ynu keyed in your username\pass into the 740 under mytomtom account in preferences?

have ynu keyed in your username\pass into the 740 under mytomtom account in preferences?

Yes, I have.

It appears there is an explanation over here. Basically, the 850 maps are incompatible with traffic services (both Live and RDS). I don't think all units are affected, as some people are on 850 with working traffic.

Hopefully, a fix will be out soon.

Are you also getting the "subscription expired" error? I had lots of bugs with my map 850, TT eventually re-added the traffic under a different email, and I then had to do a master reset on the device.

Are you also getting the "subscription expired" error? I had lots of bugs with my map 850, TT eventually re-added the traffic under a different email, and I then had to do a master reset on the device.

Yes, that is the error I am getting. However, it is only affecting the Traffic service. Google, gas prices, weather, etc are still working correctly. When you had the service "re-added", was it only affecting traffic?

Yes, that is the error I am getting. However, it is only affecting the Traffic service. Google, gas prices, weather, etc are still working correctly. When you had the service "re-added", was it only affecting traffic?

No - my issue cut off all live services. So it sounds like you're having a different problem than I did.

My Traffic just started working! I updated through Home (not sure what did it) and when I undocked, it worked!

Give it a try and let me know if it's working for everyone.

So, I bought my first TomTom yesterday: the Go 740 Live. After installing Home and updating the maps and software, I took it out for a spin and found that the traffic service believes that my subscription has expired. I called Tech Support and confirmed that all of the other services (weather, google) work fine. After telling me to perform a hard reset (losing all of my settings and addresses that I had entered that day) he went to confirm service in my area (Dallas, TX). Upon return, he said that there is a problem with my software version and to wait until next week to upgrade to the working version.

I decided to check these forums to see how long this has been going on, but have been unable to find any reference to the issue. My question is this: is there an actual issue, or was this guy just trying to get rid of me?
I've had the same problem. I called twice. The first time it took me 30 min to get it. Spoke to someone for more than 45 min going through soft rests, etc. She left to check something else and I got disconnected. The next time I got someone right away. We went through the same rigamarole again, soft reset, hard resets, application uninstall and install, updates, etc. She felt everything would be ok after re-intstall the applications and hung up because it would take a while. Well guess what...I still get the message that my subscription must have expired. Everyhting on TomTom's end says the service is in place.

My TT 740TM Live w/850 map and 9.053 application and 8GB Class 6 MicroSDHC card is working like a dream.

Had one blip, one time when red color, banner alert that my "safety" camera subscription had expired came on screen. That alert has never arisen again but I don't know if it's because all is fixed, because it figures I was told once -- don't bother to tell again, or because we just don't have many fixed "safety" cameras here near Las Vegas.

I still have problem though re: not being able to use TT device via HOME. Which is a problem because it's a royal PITA to have to key in traffic corrections using the device touchscreen.

Read post 740 LIVE the problem is when you upgrade to the newest map... Their is a bug in the map... They know all about it and are suppost to be working on it... I Found out after myself swapping out 5 units all was well until I installed the new map... If you swap it out DO NOT UPGRASDE the map!!!!! You will be fine until they have a fix for this problem... SHABA

Traffic 740 Live

Yes, I have.

It appears there is an explanation over here. Basically, the 850 maps are incompatible with traffic services (both Live and RDS). I don't think all units are affected, as some people are on 850 with working traffic.

Hopefully, a fix will be out soon.

Read post 740 LIVE the problem is when you upgrade to the newest map... Their is a bug in the map... They know all about it and are suppost to be working on it... I Found out after myself swapping out 5 units all was well until I installed the new map... If you swap it out DO NOT UPGRASDE the map!!!!! You will be fine until they have a fix for this problem... SHABA

If you chaps are having "fun" with traffic data post map update try the following:

From your previous V845 map folder (either a back up or where its downloaded to on the computer by home) copy the following two files:

tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat

Paste these two files straight in to your V850 North_America map folder to over write the new ones, then see if it works - We had very similar issues a while back in Europe when these files were messed up by Home, in Europe they ended up with a 0Kb file size, for the NA market I suspect the new map only contains suport for the newer RDS-TMC receiver built in to the power lead bundled with the life time traffic at purchase, putting the old files from V845 in to the new map folder is worth a shot if using older Traffic receivers/ Live - Mike

Ask a Question