Stuck for ages!!

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
Hi, everybody, i tried to update MY ONE XL this afternoon, when i plugged the tom tom to pc, the screen (on the tomtom) just froze with the red x on the hand, so for 20 minutes i did not unplug from the pc!
But hours later the tom tom screen is still frozen.
I tried to reset as per instructions from TOM TOM website but i am unable to reset for some reason, i have only had to reset this once before and it worked ok then.I am very annoyed about this as i need it for a journey monday night
(29th). Any help appreciated thankyou.:) But today see my post below.

Last edited:
If you connect the unit to the computer, can Windows Explorer recognize the unit as external storage? If so, can you see the contents of the unit in Explorer? If yes, make a full backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, making sure that hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Now, delete all loose files in the root of the unit, meaning NO FOLDERS or their contents.

Now, start Home, it should recognize you have no operating system on your unit and offer a download. Accept and install it. If it all works properly, make ANOTHER backup using Explorer.

I have had this happen...
Sometimes I hold the power button for 10 seconds and shortly it shuts down or brings up the saftey warning screen.
Other times, I've plugged into the charger and it asked if I wanted to attach to the computer...
Yet an other time, when the 2nd line failed... When I unplugged the unit it asked if I wanted to shut-down.
When you reset the unit with a pin/paper-clip, do you hold the power button at the same time?

Thankyou for replies.

Thankyou for replies, this morning when i got up the TOM TOM
had switched itself off. So i new then that it would probably be back to normal when i switched it on, the odd thing that is happening is: it says
:your location is crawley sussex: but i live in hammersmith! which is where i am now, also when tapping in a location it is not :finding the route:
it goes straight to a map of the location.? So in other words it seems to think i am in the place that will be my destination! Sort of back to front.
I would not have thought it could say other than where you are currently.?
Once again thankyou for your replies.:)

Ask a Question