Stuck at Bios screen

TomTom Model(s)
One IQ Routes
Hi,

I have a TomTom One IQ Routes edition (UK) and was attempting to update it through TomTom Home. I received a file corruption error and followed the instructions on the TOMTOM website (copy maps etc) to rectify it.

I got to the stage where it told me to format the device and it keeps failing.
I am now in a situation where when I switch on my device displays the bios information.
If I connect it to my PC it says I need to format disk but then fails.

Can anyone help?

Assuming you DO have the backup.........

Connect to the computer. Do this:

Start-->Run-->cmd and in the box that opens up, type this:
chkdsk X: /f where X: = the drive that windows assigned to the tomtom unit when you connect to the computer (probably E: or F:, depending upon what other removable devices Windows detects on your system.)

I did that.
Now I have the picture of the TomTom on my TomTom screen (flashing red cross when not connected to computer) but when I connect it to my computer it recognises it as a device but not as a drive :-(

I ran USBDeview and get the following:

Name Port_#0002.Hub_#0004
Desc TomTom ONE IQ Routes
Type Mass Storage
Connected Yes
Safe to unplug Yes
Disabled No
USB HUB No
Service Name USBSTOR
Service Desc USB Mass Storage Driver
File Name USBSTOR.SYS
Device Mfg Compatible USB storage device
Driver Version 6.1.7601.17577
Instance ID USB\VID_1390&PID_0001\PS4289B01354

Not sure how to get my computer to recognise it as a device again.

The good news .. per USBDeview, Windows (your computer) is still fully recognizing your device as a TomTom and as an external storage device. So you're physically connected successfully and there's still a bootloader running on your device that identifies your unit to your PC. The problem, it seems, is this:

If I connect it to my PC it says I need to format disk but then fails.
We need to know a bit more about what 'fails'. I assume you are using Windows to format the device using FAT32. When the format fails, what message(s) do you see?

I think I am making progress :)

I have managed to format the device as FAT32 as per instructions and TOMTOM Home now recognises it is connected.

When I run the update device it presents the application and voice files to download/install as per the TOMTOM instructions but when it gets to the installation phase I get the following error:

Cannot create the following file: F:\bootloaderversion.txt

Details:

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/Single/DestinationFileDoesNotExist: Cannot create this file: F:\bootloaderversion.txt
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1513)
Last Error is 00000570 Item metadata is <HOME2 version="2.9">
<program idnum="13130" idurl="http://num1.id.tomtom.com/13130" idstr="Navigator" version="8.415">
<title lang="en-GB" mimetype="text/plain">TomTom Application for TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition</title>
<description lang="en-GB" mimetype="text/plain">The latest version of the application for your TomTom device. We recommend that you update so that you always have the latest features and the best performance on your TomTom. For a list of changes made in this application, see www.tomtom.com/6141 Note: If your TomTom or TomTom application has been adapted by your employer, IT administrator or any company other than TomTom, please check with the supplier before you install our latest application. This applies to any applications based on the TomTom SDK.</description>
<image mimetype="image/png" url="http://home.tomtom.com/media/program/icon/program.png" usage="icon"/>
<download>
<url location="http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.415.one2009_plus.CAB-navcore-ONE.cab" content="main" size="25693184" downloader="true" qos="0"/>
</download>
<size>25693184</size>
<targetdevice models="one2009_plus_2048 one2009_plus_us_2048"/>
<price free="true"/>
<supplier id="tomtom">
<name>TomTom</name>
<image mimetype="image/png" url="http://home.tomtom.com/media/suppliers/tomtom_supplier_icon.png" usage="icon"/>
</supplier>
<build>1240</build>
</program>
</HOME2>
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1513
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:81
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1060
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:76
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:68
this._errorFatal(error);

Any suggestions?

Was the download done using a wireless connection by any chance? If so, try with a directly connected computer.

Out of interest, does your model have an SD card slot?

@Andy
I don't think so, Andy (the ONE IQR should be = our ONE 140), and so if the flash is shot, I don't think we can go there. Would have been an easy solution if it had been possible.

@JulesJackson
What are the first two characters of your unit's serial number? Taking a wild guess, I'd say it will be PR or ZF.

After a further two formats (including deleting partitions) I have finally managed to install the TOMTOM application and maps through Home :)

Thank you very much for your help. For completeness here are the answers to the outstanding questions:

The device does not have an SD card slot.
The first two characters of the serial unit are PS.

Thanks again
Jules

Ah, OK. That's not a "UK" model, that's a "Europe" model with 2GB of internal memory. Don't know if you lucked out and wound up with a 2GB unit with just the UK/ROI maps or whether perhaps it had the 2GB W.Europe map to begin with. Your first post said (UK). Anyway, that's a good thing since it gives you a bit more room to work.

Ask a Question