Software v 9.058.... available

Error connecting even with 8.371

Here is something interesting, I rolled back to 8.371 to get the update 9.058 and was setting the sim error 1001, so I rolled back to 8.371 and still get a similar error or that it cannot connect to the server

I tried blanking out mobility.sim, altering its settings and so forth.

So Its got to be some configuration setting somewhere that I am overlooking that I need to reset.

Obviously taping weather or buddies does no good.:confused:

I've found that after certain rollbacks, you sometimes need to do a full "master reset" in the preferences menu to get the LIVE connection working.

This should be a last resort, as it wipes out most of your settings and favorites.

YUp tried that. Still no workie. Trying a few other things. i.e. comparing config files on device with an old back befor 9x.

Here is something interesting, I rolled back to 8.371 to get the update 9.058 and was setting the sim error 1001, so I rolled back to 8.371 and still get a similar error or that it cannot connect to the server

I tried blanking out mobility.sim, altering its settings and so forth.

So Its got to be some configuration setting somewhere that I am overlooking that I need to reset.

I had a similar problem after going back to 8.371. I kept getting a "unable to connect to server" message (or something similar). Even when trying to enter my account credentials in My TomTom Account on page 7 of the settings menu, before being asked for a name or password.

To fix it, I connected to my PC, and used "Operate my Go" in Home to go to My TomTom Account and set the name and password there. After that it worked fine on the device.

I've found that after certain rollbacks, you sometimes need to do a full "master reset" in the preferences menu to get the LIVE connection working.

This should be a last resort, as it wipes out most of your settings and favorites.

Just to clarify - if I have copied the entire contents of the "Internal" drive away as a back-up and then have a play with new version of software etc and then delete all files and directories on the device and copy the entire back-up back onto the device would I be affected in the same way?

I am using a Linux machine to mount the 'Internal' drive and using the MC (Midnight Commander) to create and restore back-up. So this should cover all directories and hidden files and so on right?

I believe that what I am doing there would mean that the device returns to the exact state as it was just before the backup. Am I correct or am I still missing something?

Using Explorer (or some other File Manager) to copy the contents of the unit to a location on the computer, then later deleting what is on the unit and restoring the backup will put the unit back to the way it was prior to the backup.

I believe that what I am doing there would mean that the device returns to the exact state as it was just before the backup. Am I correct or am I still missing something?

Not exactly, there are additional settings held in areas not accessible to the USB flash drive emulation.

Not exactly, there are additional settings held in areas not accessible to the USB flash drive emulation.
Thought so!

When I had copied my backup back onto the device and re-started the device it did ask me to select the voice to be used for navigation instruction and then asked me whether I had a LIVE account etc.

So all these data is probably stored elsewhere - beyond what is reachable via the USB drive emulation.

Now how do we reach the other parts of the flash memory. First of all is it necessary at all - ever? From what you seem to indicate it probably is required under certain circumstances?

Is it at all possible to get onto a command line shell onto the device over the network by any chance? And then gaining access to this area which is not emulated as a USB drive?

As you might have noticed I am a Linux enthusiast and would not shy away from getting my hands onto a Linux Command Line Interface.

Quite a few hurdles there - USB and Network etc - I don't think it would be easy even if it is possible.

As I am willing to experiment with newer versions of software etc, I need to know the risks involved and how to fix it if something fails horribly. In the absence of such information I would be discouraged from doing any further experiments and would rather stick with what I have.

I just upgraded my TT 740 Live to 9.058 and it seems to work well so far. I had to roll back to 8... (like others) to perform the upgrade.

Here are some improvements i noticed so far:

1 The touch screen seems better then before. It's more accurate.
2 Eco-routs are now available (Didn't notice this feature before).
3 Calculation seem a little quicker then before like reported by others.
4 Live services work fine. Live worked fine with previous versions as well.

Has anyone noticed other new features?

Note: Make sure you do a backup of your favorites before you upgrade as I lost all mine.

Just to update you guys, I ended up exchanging my device for a new one at CarToys where I bought it, they can do a swap with factory(tomtom) up to a year from purchase FYI.

I dont get the errors anymore . IMEI and model numbers show up, but it sits there trying to connect, every once and a while all the numbers i.e. ICCID populate and signal bars populate but then black out agian only showing IMEI and Model #s and Connecting text i.e. looks like its just timing out.

Likely I suspect a subscripts/new SIM issue on the server I suspect as the support person said my renewal was pending though the tomtom site shows it paid as of Sept 13.

I updated my online iccident - hopefully they will reset / populate my new sim on the server and verify my subscription has gone through and I should be good to go, that is if there are no 9.058 firmware bugs afoot here. :)

Just to update you guys, I ended up exchanging my device for a new one at CarToys where I bought it, they can do a swap with factory(tomtom) up to a year from purchase FYI.

I dont get the errors anymore . IMEI and model numbers show up, but it sits there trying to connect, every once and a while all the numbers i.e. ICCID populate and signal bars populate but then black out agian only showing IMEI and Model #s and Connecting text i.e. looks like its just timing out.

Likely I suspect a subscripts/new SIM issue on the server I suspect as the support person said my renewal was pending though the tomtom site shows it paid as of Sept 13.

I updated my online iccident - hopefully they will reset / populate my new sim on the server and verify my subscription has gone through and I should be good to go, that is if there are no 9.058 firmware bugs afoot here. :)

YUp all is well now, consistenty geting traffic/live services on 9.058 after they ensured my subscribtion was active and new sim updated on server.

Course this took exchanging for a new 740 then while in 8.371 enabling my account then updating to 9.058 and having support verify subscribtion and sim. Makes me wonder if with 9.058 the bugs are more on the server end regarding live services.. :|

FWIW, my U.S. spec 740 was just offered (for the first time) 9.058 after an update from Home 2.7 to Home 2.8. Given the lack of problems we've had with some of the Live errors they've seen in the UK, I don't really know whether it's worth doing the update. Is there really any reason that anyone knows for updating to 9.058 in the U.S.?

Since doing the uprev to Home 2.8, I'm now finally being prompted to move from 9.054 to 9.058 on my 740Live. Given the lack of any of the Live issues in Europe that the change was intended to address, is there any good reason to make the move?

Canderson, I haven't seen any reason to update if your's is already satisfactory. And I travel a lot of forums. . .;)

As Lennon/McCartney said, "Let it Be".

Canderson, I haven't seen any reason to update if your's is already satisfactory. And I travel a lot of forums. . .;)

As Lennon/McCartney said, "Let it Be".
Good suggestion there, Paul <g>.

I'm not even clear why they're pushing 9.058 in the U.S. market. Of course, the release notes at tt.com don't even cover 9.054, much less 9.058, so there's no trace there of an explanation. Beyond Europe, I have noted that some folks in California and NJ were having problems with Live services at 9.054 and were backing up to 8.371 and staying away from 9.054 AND 9.058. Again, no SIM issues here, and it doesn't appear that the main U.S. problem (if you've got it, which thankfully, I don't) is resolved by any 9.XXX version.

Good suggestion there, Paul <g>.

I'm not even clear why they're pushing 9.058 in the U.S. market. Of course, the release notes at tt.com don't even cover 9.054, much less 9.058, so there's no trace there of an explanation. Beyond Europe, I have noted that some folks in California and NJ were having problems with Live services at 9.054 and were backing up to 8.371 and staying away from 9.054 AND 9.058. Again, no SIM issues here, and it doesn't appear that the main U.S. problem (if you've got it, which thankfully, I don't) is resolved by any 9.XXX version.

I am in WA and 9.054 and 9.058 both have the live services timeout issue - after between 10 to 19 mins, you loose the traffic data and get the dreaded yellow triangle - you have to do the buddies refresh trick to get traffic back.

You loose functionality and have other bugs with 8.371 so it comes down to what you want running

Ask a Question