Software v 9.058.... available

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
After making a full backup using Windows Explorer, I just installed software version 9.058.568435.1.

After disconnecting from the computer and allowing the device to boot normally, I did NOTHING, and waited for it to succeed or fail at getting LIVE traffic information. It worked!

Certainly one instance of success is proof of nothing, but it's a good sign.

EDIT: Me and my big mouth! I opened the version information screen so I could report the full software version number, and upon returning to the map screen I had the dreaded yellow triangle on my traffic bar. Tapping on it revealed the familiar (to me) error 1506.

Signed - disappointed but not surprised

Last edited:
I assume this is an update for the x40 line only since there is talk of "Live Services"?

Does anyone know if Navcore 9 is coming to the x20/x30 lines?

TomTom is really disappointing me lately... the lack of support for older devices (which really aren't that old)... no lifetime map upgrades, no lifetime traffic upgrades (stuck paying annually for the same service that's "free" now).

If I am being forced to purchase a new unit to get these features, I don't think my next unit will be from TomTom.

The Tomtom UK website is saying that app 9.058 fixes the sim 1008 issue.

Link here.

Last edited:
TomTom is really disappointing me lately... the lack of support for older devices (which really aren't that old)... no lifetime map upgrades, no lifetime traffic upgrades (stuck paying annually for the same service that's "free" now).
If I am being forced to purchase a new unit to get these features, I don't think my next unit will be from TomTom.
AFAIK, the "free" bit you are mentioning there is not really free at all - the correct term used by Tom Tom should have been "included" - since the price you pay up front actually includes the price for the subscription etc and they would throw in some small (insignificant as far as cost goes) 'feature'.

So for example when you look at the price of such a new model which would be much more expensive than the other models, and compare them you would find that the costly one has some 'live' features included.

Coming back to the original subject matter - I have just updated my Go 940 Live and it seems to be still alive - pun intented.
More feedback later on as I use the device with the new firmware.

Not that I'm concerned - since I don't have Live issues (yet) on my 740 - but I'm not being offered 9.058 here. Still parked at 9.054.

I saw the post yesterday about 9.058 and also found it wasn't offered. Ended up removing 9.054 and TTH then reinstalled 8.371. Then hit update and TTH then offered 9.058 as the upgrade. I did this last night and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm very curious as I have had to use the 'update Buddies' fix to keep the LIVE Traffic up.

Last edited:
Same here, needed to remove app 9.054 to get 9.058.

I guess it doesn't matter if 9.058's only difference is the SIM 1008 fix. But there's no word from Tomtom whether this is the only fix.

TT isn't noted for producing the most detailed release notes. Operating under the "ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, I'm just going to leave well enough alone at 9.054 for the moment rather than forcing the issue.

A couple of UK implementers of the new app report they think the screen is somewhat more receptive to keytaps than 9.054 and at least one said planning the route was faster in the new app.

I agree that the touch screen is not as sensitive, which is very nice. The route planning is about the same for me as the 9.054 on a couple of 100 mile trips.

I was hopeful that the LIVE traffic issue was resolved, but made two trips and after 30 minutes of yellow triangles, tapping the traffic bar and getting error 1506, I did the update Buddies and LIVE traffic was up within a minute.

After updating to 9.058 and continuing to get the 1506 error, I decided to call TomTom support and see if they had anything new to offer. They had me go into Buddies and update, which I knew would work temporarily, but they also had me soft reset while in the Buddies screen (something I had not done before). After a short time, 1506 came back.

I have since gone back to 8.371, where I seem to have no traffic issues at all, aside from having to use "operate my go" to enter my username and password.

I'm really baffled as to how they can know that refreshing the Buddies list fixes the problem, not know it's only temporary, and not know how to use this information to come up with a permanent fix.

There are some posts that doing a Google Weather search has the same effect as a Buddy update.

I have just updated my Go 940 Live and it seems to be still alive - pun intented.
More feedback later on as I use the device with the new firmware.

Hmm...feedback is not that positive I'm afraid.

Been on a rather long journey today - more than 3 hours each way.

During this period the Live information disappeared a couple of times along the way and re-appeared. But more disturbingly the device simply rebooted on both journey's - all on its own.

First time round I kind of blamed myself as during a break in the journey I had connected my mobile to the device by switching on the blue tooth on the mobile. After starting the journey I found that the device simply rebooted after some time - reason unknown - it started back with the 'drum roll reboot' while I was still driving. Luckily it locked onto the statellites and continued the navigation.

But on the return journey it again rebooted while I was driving and it took a while to actually restart, lost the satellite signal for a long time while I was still driving on the busy 'A' road - I had to depend on the road signs and my own common sense to navigate as the Satnav was showing a greyed out screen and complaining GPS signal lost. Then it came back and started navigating but only after a long long time (at least after 20 minutes of no GPS signal).

'Live' data connection seems to be patchy - while not driving I had once tried to do a Google search and it did suddenly come back with the dreaded 1806 'SIM Card problem' message. During the day it had failed more than once to get any google data for me complaining there is some server problem and I can try connecting later etc

Looks like Live services is giving this firmware problems and may be even the reason why the device reboots on its own.

During the journey I did notice that the screen refresh was considerably slower than with old firmware - the display often lagging behind a lot when I need it the most - such as at a complex round-about.

My conclusion is - I am going back to the old firmware - I can not have the device booting on its own while I am driving my car and loosing satellite for such a long time. Having subscribed to the Live service I want to make use of it when I need it - while I am in a new, strange city.

I would be restoring the full back up I had taken before allowing the device to upgrade the firmware.

To make matters worse for this new release, I am yet to find any positive differences from the earlier version - it seems to be just better looking display - but what I want most is an accurate display - not a pretty display but accurate one.

...To make matters worse for this new release, I am yet to find any positive differences from the earlier version - it seems to be just better looking display - but what I want most is an accurate display - not a pretty display but accurate one.

I find it very frustrating to know that ANYONE is spending time on cosmetic issues like a new screen layout when something like TRAFFIC JUST DOESN'T WORK for so many people. I realize that additional resources are not always the answer, but continuing to release updates that include frills, but don't fix known issues, makes customers feel like TomTom just doesn't get it.

I find it very frustrating to know that ANYONE is spending time on cosmetic issues like a new screen layout when something like TRAFFIC JUST DOESN'T WORK for so many people. I realize that additional resources are not always the answer, but continuing to release updates that include frills, but don't fix known issues, makes customers feel like TomTom just doesn't get it.

There seem to be some visual 'effects' added - when I select a menu option the corresponding screen 'appears' to slide from the side etc - in other words just eye-candy.

May be the message to be taken here is that these devices which Tom Tom no longer actively sells have certain hardware limitations and one has to "live" with what one got. As an analogy - the new firmware may be like trying to run an old pentium with 256MB RAM to work with Windows 7 or something like that - it would just not work and the result would not be good at all.

There seem to be some visual 'effects' added - when I select a menu option the corresponding screen 'appears' to slide from the side etc - in other words just eye-candy.

May be the message to be taken here is that these devices which Tom Tom no longer actively sells have certain hardware limitations and one has to "live" with what one got. As an analogy - the new firmware may be like trying to run an old pentium with 256MB RAM to work with Windows 7 or something like that - it would just not work and the result would not be good at all.

I do like the interface in the 9.x software - particularly the LIVE tab on the route summary screen, where it shows a traffic summary and lowest fuel price along your route. That said, I would never give up a working LIVE traffic to get it.

I think that we will eventually reach a point where the Go 740 is not upgradeable - be it a hardware limitation, or decision on the part of TomTom to "discontinue" support for the device. Traffic issues aside, I didn't notice any performance issues with the new software, so I don't think we've reached the former yet. If/when we do reach that point, the answer is to not offer the software, not to offer the software and blame the device. As for discontinuing support, without a formal announcement it may be hard to tell when they do that, considering the level of support we get now.

At this point I have 8.x on my device and it's working okay (fingers crossed). My LIVE subscription will expire about 1-1/2 weeks before my warranty. I plan to install whatever software version they're offering about a week before. If it doesn't work, I'll go through the whole routine of support with them, where they eventually replace the device, extending my warranty by another 6 months.

Ask a Question