So, is the new update good or not????

I am still running App 8.010 with voice recognition, fm transmitter etc.... I'm happy with my V710.1584 map right now.

So I'm trying to understand why I would want to update my unit to V8.302.... any comments or suggestions?

If you are happy with your map and planning results and do not wish to avail yourself of the IQ routing capabilities of version 8 maps, then there is no reason to update either your firmware or the maps.

I have hesitated to update until I hear it's good or not. I finally have my 720 not stuttering by spending way to much time on the tele with a TomTom rep ...
Soooo, what was the fix for stuttering?

I'm in that 1% of 8.302 users, who are still experiencing it (but only after installing the 8.25 map, before that, it was gone!).

Hello,

I purchased a GO 730 yesterday. The first thing I did after getting to a computer, was upgrading the firmware (since expected the latest firmware always to be good, since that's how it usually goes).

Anyway, after the firmware upgrade I faced the problem with the red blinking X and had to spend a couple of hours in solving the problem since I hadn't taken any backup before upgrading (though, I don't remember TomTom HOME even suggesting me to take one). I finally managed to start up TomTom after trying this on another computer (didn't work with the first computer for some reason).

My GO 730 is now running version 8.302 of the application but I am experiencing freezing and re-booting. One way to reproduce this is to bring up the address search -menu (e.g. navigate to, change "Home" location), which always freezes at "One moment please" and after a couple of dozens of seconds reboots the whole device. Also browsing the map can cause this.

I don't know if this is the same thing as the previously mentioned "stuttering" in this topic, but all I can say for now that I am not very happy with this. I didn't use the navigation before updating the device so I can't really say how it worked on the previous firmware.

Are there any ways to fix this or should I just wait for a new firmware to be released by TomTom?
Thanks!

Last edited:
You got the red X because you disconnected the unit from the computer improperly, not waiting for the data to be written to internal memory.

Sounds as if the firmware has still not been installed correctly if you are experiencing the problems you are listing.

If you bought it yesterday, my inclination is to return it for a replacement saying it just doesn't work properly. And if you do go that route, make a full backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home, and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

The stuttering seems to be a thing of the past with Navcore 8.302.

Also updated maps to 825, and got to try IQ routing. What a pleasant surprise! That really helps when you're in a major metro and aren't quite sure which ramp you're supposed to take.

I was using NavCore 8.204 (for x40 units) for a while because it had a nice screen refresh rate and no stuttering. I couldn't stand the lag on the 8.3 version. So I read on this thread that 8.302 fixed the lag issue, so I tried it and used my device last week on my trip to Alabama and all I can say is WOW. The frames per second looks about 10x better than it EVER was before. It's incredibly smooth! It runs as if I was running the 720 off of the emulator on my PC. I also didn't get a single stutter either during the whole trip. This version is a KEEPER! I do miss the icons and interface from 8.204 though.. OHH WELL!

You got the red X because you disconnected the unit from the computer improperly, not waiting for the data to be written to internal memory.

Sounds as if the firmware has still not been installed correctly if you are experiencing the problems you are listing.

If you bought it yesterday, my inclination is to return it for a replacement saying it just doesn't work properly. And if you do go that route, make a full backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home, and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Thanks for your response, I got the GO 730 returned and money back. Now I've purchased a GO 930T, with some extra accessories included, from another place and the total price was even cheaper than the GO 730's in the first place!

Just, gotta remember to take the backup this time before performing any updates! :p

Ask a Question