SD Card & Internal Memory?

I recently got a new TomTom One with the maps in internal memory. The unit still has a SD slot... so the question is can this still be used? Would it be SD OR internal memory, or can both be used at the same time?

I would like to use the installed maps on internal memory but place a large POI data file on the SD... would that work?

Thanks!

It's a case of either/or. Your POI idea won't work.

I think the idea is that if you, say, make a trip to Europe, you can have the operating system and map on an sd card which you pop in for your trip. Putting in the sd card overides the internal memory. Take the card out and you're back to using the internal memory.

It's really no different than the older models where we just swapped cards.

As far as I can see, if you never drive outside of North America, you will never use that sd slot.

Bummer

That is kind of a bummer of a design, the "either internal OR SD"... But, I do appreciate, I guess, that I could normally have one set of maps and then insert a card and have a completely new setup, I guess. Hmm.

I'm pretty brand new with my TT1... I had played with it on a PocketPC before but I think I am pleased (so far) with my purchase.

Protecting empty SD card slot?

Hi all,

Related to the either/or situation with internal memory and SD cards...

I'm rarely going to leave North America with my TT1, but I may get a foreign vacation in a year or so. Meanwhile, my SD card slot is sitting there empty, and I can see that there is circuitry inside.

Any suggestions for ways to keep dust / lint / dirt out of it? Before I realized that it was either/or, I was going to buy a cheap, low-capacity SD card to put in the slot as a "filler".

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
B

Hi all,

Related to the either/or situation with internal memory and SD cards...

I'm rarely going to leave North America with my TT1, but I may get a foreign vacation in a year or so. Meanwhile, my SD card slot is sitting there empty, and I can see that there is circuitry inside.

Any suggestions for ways to keep dust / lint / dirt out of it? Before I realized that it was either/or, I was going to buy a cheap, low-capacity SD card to put in the slot as a "filler".

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
B

Placing an SD card in the slot as a 'filler' will not work. As I understand it, once an SD card is placed in the slot it disables the internal memory, regardless of the contents of the SD card.

It's probably not the best solution, but perhaps placing tape to cover the hole might do it. I know its not the best solution, but that'll keep the dust out.

If you want to free up some space on the internal drive for more POIs you can always delete any of the unused voices on your unit or the maps of Guam.

:eek:

Ask a Question