Rider v2 map update

I?ve just brought a new Rider v2 at the weekend. I activated it via TomTom home yesterday and although it updated the application from version 7.540 to 7.901.
The map version (UK) remained at 715.1703. At the end of the home update a message appeared on screen, telling me a new map version is available to buy. I understood from the literature in the box, you get the latest map version when you activated a new TomTom sat nav for the first time. How do you get the latest map without having to pay for it?
:confused:

You first make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then you connect to Home and use Tools-->Latest Map guarantee. The latest should be offered. If not, call support.

As Dhn states, make sure you make a backup using Explorer as well as HOME. Infact, once you make a backup, you can load it onto an SD card and carry as a spare if need be.

Cheers!

I just purchased a Rider 2 as well (used). After reading this post, I tried the same, but Home failed to update the map. I received the following message in Home:

The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom device.

I get a similar message when I try to use Map Share via Home.

Any ideas as to how to get the latest map in this fashion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Latest Map Guarentee is only available to the original registerer of the GPS, and is only valid for the first 30 days of ownership.

Cheers,

Thank rcacs!

Do you know If I can reinstate the Latest Map program of I purchase a new map? Or do you think I should o just go ahead and get the lifetime subscription? Also, would that open up Map Share for me?

Last edited:
Thank rcacs!

Do you know If I can reinstate the Latest Map program of I purchase a new map? Or do you think I should o just go ahead and get the lifetime subscription? Also, would that open up Map Share for me?

If you buy a new map, you get the latest map. What map version do you have now? You will recieve map shares (check off the items and level of security on HOME).

I think the subscription plan is pretty good, you just need to decide if you require a new map every 3 or 4 months.

Cheers!

No, I think you mis undrstand my question..

How is the 30 day limit appled?

If I keep a backup of my original card...and put it back in the machine in 6 months time, and try the Latest Map Guarantee download again...how does the system know that I have not just purchased the machine...since I am using the same card and same data as when it was shipped from the factory

When you first use your unit, an encoded file is created on the unit. Home looks to that information as to the legitimacy of the LMG request.

Ah ok, I see, on the unit it self, and not the SD card? correct?

I assumed there was no memory on the unit and it was all crd based

Are you sure about that? I think the file MUST be on the SD card...
The reason I say that is because I can get LMG to work with Tom Tom Home with the SD card in a card reader with the GPS not connected.
or maybe you are correct...it does put a file on the GPS....but if it cant find it it does the LMG check anyway

Does anyone know what that file is?
From what little playing with the unit I have done, i would not be suprised if it was more like a database and unit serial number thing...when you first connect to the Tom Tom Server, your update and serial number is logged....after the 30days that serial number is blocked from further updates.

I know you said it was from a file stored on the machine...but I can run the LMG update from the SD card, without the GPS connected,,,,so I am imagining that the serial number of the machine is stored somewhere within the file structure of the SD card....

Last edited:
I bought a ttr2 this weekend and having the same problem. Updated, backed up and still can't get latest maps. Emailed support but no response yet. But I was curious, how does an explorer backup resolve the issue? I backed up using both Home and Explorer and still get the same message.

Ver 7.9
Map: Australia v675.1431
lastest map is: v845.2662

If I click on add maps I get the option to buy the lastest version but it should be free under the latest maps guarantee??

Is this a brand new, never been used unit you just bought?....that map version you have is well over 2 years old.

If you are using the LMG via HOME and are not getting the update (again, assuming this unit is within the 30 days since purchased new), CALL support. Emailing them is pretty much a waste of time. Be prepared to fax them a copy of the sales reciept as well. I had to do this when I first bought my unit, and the process was very painless.

The reason to back your unit up has nothing to do with the LMG, it is just a sure way to back up your unit. HOME says it backs up your unit, but in actualality often doesnt fully back up your files. I not only back it up in Explorer, but also onto a spare SD card (which will ONLY work on your unit by the way).

Cheers,

Last edited:
What happens when you go to Tools-->Latest Map guarantee? (in Home)
I get a message that the latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed.

The unit was brand new in a sealed box from a reputable dealer. It's not easy to find these in Australia so if the map is old I could understand that but surely Tom Tom should just detect that and replace it? The base app was also at version 6.5 but that updated without a hitch.

It is not uncommon for the LMG to either tell you that you have the most current map or that there are no updated maps available.

Give them a call, and be ready to provide a fax of the reciept.

Cheers!

Ask a Question