Repeated problems

TomTom Model(s)
Rider2, xxl540TM
Aquired a TomTom XXL540TM direct from TomTom in late November to give to my daughter for Christmas, when she opened it it would not operate, would lock up with the TomTom logo screen, she returnbed it to me and suggested that perhaps I could get her a different Christmas gift and she would use her smart phone for driving directions.

I attempted to get the GPS to operate using the online support suggestions without success. I contacted support by phone and attempted to resolve the issues including a complete reformat of the drive and new installation of the application and maps ect, all without success, finally they agreed to send out a replacement and issued a call tag for the malfunctioning unit.

This last Saterday the replacement finally arrived, I anxiously opened it and guess what, it doesn't work either, initially had the identical problem, locked up at the TomTom logo on start up. I read extensively through out this forum for any help to resolve the issue, reflashed the chip, error check and reform the drive, reinstall the application and maps, ect, For abit it would operate but continually reboot, tech support had me reformat the drive again and do another reinstall, now it just locks up on the TomTom logo.

Are these units that difficult to set up and operate? I have used other TomTom GPS devices with very few issues?

At this point it looks like they want me to pay to sent the unit back in for repair? They are then sending it back to me. Just seems like I have gotten the short end of this deal.

Any suggestions?

I'd return it under warranty.

You can try this, though............

Connect to Home. Plan a route. Once the route has been created, disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

If it doesn't restart properly, return it.

Will need to return for repair

Thanks for the reply, As it stands currently I am to return the unit without cords or accessories to have it fixed, they will then return it in hopefully operating condition,

I had reviewed several of your posts and with the information you had provided was able to at one point get the second unit to turn on, It then, however would continually reboot. At that point I recontacted support which had me start the process all over again, error check, format, installation, it never got past the TomTom logo after that.

Thanks again.

Don't let them fob you off with a repair.
If you don't want the unit, you are perfectly entitled to a refund as it was unfit for purpose from the beginning.

Ask a Question