red X on start up, go 710

havent used my tomtom for about a week. plugged it in today, red x on startup asking me to take SD card out.

it has done this once before and what i did no longer works (or i cant get it to work). the first time it happened, i took the SD card out, plugged it into my reader. it proceeded to install home, did something to the SD card and bam, it worked again.

i feel pretty stupid asking this, but how can i duplicate this on a 2gb card? when i try and read the original card, it lags in windows and linux when i try and open the card. i dont get an error, it just hangs. once i remove the card, explorer/filetree unfreezes and resumes normal operation.

ive tried it with the card locked and unlocked. when using PQ magic, it shows the file system as damaged and i cant pull any data off it. im running my data recovery program on it right now in an attempt to recover anything thats on it. i didnt have any music, apps or anything important, just my maps.

if possible, can i use home to create a new sd card and ditch the old one? im running 2.7

The red X means the unit can't detect the operating system files. If the card with them on it is corrupt, that might do it.

Do you have a backup of your unit's contents? Hopefully Explorer and especially the map folder.

If so, you can format a card and restore the backup.

The red X means the unit can't detect the operating system files. If the card with them on it is corrupt, that might do it.

Do you have a backup of your unit's contents? Hopefully Explorer and especially the map folder.

If so, you can format a card and restore the backup.

sadly, no, i had not made a backup. ive never really had a problem with it until a week ago with the first red x.

looking at the leads on the card itself and comparing it to the sd card in m y camera, the ones on the tomtom card are pretty scratched, whereas the camera's are scratchless.

how much is this going to cost me....

If you can't recover the map folder? Unfortunately, the cost of a new map (lesson learned the hard way, sadly).

Your choices: Wait until Thursday till the 850 map is released and purchase then or forget about your unit and buy a new unit that you can upgrade to the latest map within 30 days. Some of the newer models aren't much more than the cost of a map, depending upon the features you want/need.

If you can't recover the map folder? Unfortunately, the cost of a new map (lesson learned the hard way, sadly).

Your choices: Wait until Thursday till the 850 map is released and purchase then or forget about your unit and buy a new unit that you can upgrade to the latest map within 30 days. Some of the newer models aren't much more than the cost of a map, depending upon the features you want/need.

the only feature i really use is the hands-free calling with bluetooth. looks like i might just buy a new unit and scrap this one. its big and bulky anyways and i want a slimmer model.

ok, since my SD card is completely fried, what are my options? are there any relevant files, besides maps, that were on the SD card that my tomtom NEEDS to run?

or, can i just use a 2gig card that i have, connect my tomtom to my pc and buy a map online?

i like the unit i have, as it was super easy for my wife to learn how to use and how to connect her phone to it. id hate to have to get a different unit and have her relearn everything...

-edit-

also, what would happen if i took a working SD card from the same model (go 710) and copied it onto a different card?

reason i ask is im considering buying a used go 710 off of ebay (its cheaper than buying a brand new map from tomtom) and would really like to use the SD card on both my units.

Last edited:
If the map on one sd card was originally downloaded from TomTom or came with the unit, then no, you can't share maps between two units.

The application for the unit is free and can be downloaded using Home when you put a new sd card in the unit. Then you'd have to purchase the map (the new 850 map came out just today).

bah that sucks. was really hoping i could just get a working 710 and clone the card and use it in both. im guessing it has something to do with map activation huh?

having looked at other models, i *really* dont want to get a new unit, since most of the newer units dont have built-in bluetooth

no need now. i called tomtom. they said that once i get a home docking station, to give them a call back and theyd walk me through the steps to get my maps back in order. they said they would just add the map i need to my account and then walk me through installing it.

ordered the kit off of ebay for 25$ shipped.

just have to wait for it to come in the mail now. also had to purchase a new 2gig card.

all in all, its still loads cheaper this way vs buying a new gps or map.

Ask a Question