Flashing Red X on Start up after Update

Hey all-

Just bought a refurbed TomTom XL330S from Tigerdirect.com. Fooled around with it a bit this afternoon and liked it so I went to plug it into my computer and downloaded the software update. Well, after it had to restart it quits loading about 7/8 of the way through the loading bar and a flashing red x begins and does not stop. Ive tried resetting it by holding down power for 15 seconds until it reboots to no avail. Ive tried deleting the application folder from my computer as well as the device as per instructions on TomTom's website, and Im now attempting to make a backup for the entire device then reinstall it after formatting the device. Any pointers? Ive searched tirelessly through this site as well as done everything I could try via the TomTom site all to no avail. Thanks all...Ill report back when/if I find something to work.

-Matt

A red X is often caused by an improper disconnect of the unit from the computer before all data got written to flash memory.

Did you by any chance make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup prior to doing any updating?

Did you try all the suggestions found here?

Are you trying to make the backup using Explorer.....if not, do so. Ensure hiddenfiles/folders are showing.

If that is successful, (and use Explorer to make sure the specific map folder and contents were copied), then you can delete the loose files in the root of the unit but NO folders or their contents.

Then, with the unit connected, start Home. It should offer to download and install the application. Accept it and let it install. If that works, disconnect the unit PROPERLY using Home's Menu Device-->Disconnect.

If all appears ok, make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the computer.

Nevermind. The re-format with re-install and application download worked thus far. Ill post back if any issues arise. Now, I did have another quick question:

How do I change the start-up picture if I cannot find a way to save an image as a .bmp? I have the image I want in the correct size, and the link I found to a generator in a researched post no longer worked correctly. Thanks a lot!

-Matt

i am having the exact same problem but don't quite understand the whole re-format and back-up process. i have the xl 330S and a macbook. was wondering if you could guide me through the process in baby steps.

See this link on how to back up your unit's contents. Use Finder where it refers to Explorer.

Then, making sure the map folder has been copied, follow my steps in the previous post for:
1. Formatting the drive represented by the TomTom (I guess Finder can do that).
2. Restore the map folder from backup to unit (using Finder)
3. Start Home with the unit connected to dl and install the application for the unit.

Yea, just back up the contents of the "TomTom" GPS unit which shows up in finder as an external hard drive. It takes about 20 minutes to copy everything to another folder (doesn't matter where you put it, just don't forget where you did!) Once that's copied, go into DISK UTILITY under the utilities folder (if you can't find it, just "spotlight" disk utility, and itll pop-up.) Then click on "erase" and reformat it has MS-DOS-FAT (I hear that part is important). After you've done that, then copy/paste the contents back onto the GPS unit and re-install the application from TomTom Home.

-Matt

btw, I HATE the mounting system these things come with. It won't stay up on its own for more than a minute or two, and that's if Im not moving...

Ask a Question