Recharging question

TomTom Model(s)
XL 330S
my XL 330S came with a USB and an auto charger. I know there are wall chargers out there to be used in an outlet, but I noticed that my Motorola cell phone charger has the same tip that will fit my tomtom. Is there any reason this can't be used. i.e. will it work and can it harm the device?

my XL 330S came with a USB and an auto charger. I know there are wall chargers out there to be used in an outlet, but I noticed that my Motorola cell phone charger has the same tip that will fit my tomtom. Is there any reason this can't be used. i.e. will it work and can it harm the device?
Odds are you'll be fine, but let's be sure first.

I know you can't charge your Moto with a normal USB cable (it will force a data connect), so I won't even ask. But tell me exactly what the output voltage and current are on your Moto AC adapter. It'll be embossed in the plastic on the AC end. If it's the usual 5V @ 550mA that Moto has been using for wall warts recently, you're good to go.

I've been using Moto chargers in my car for over a year with lots of Tomtoms. They all work fine.

Of all the replies I received to my recharging question, it seems that canderson has given me the right answer. Sounds like I can use my motorola wall charger, which is my question. Whoever gave me info about a car charger didn't answer my question which was about charging in a home outlet. Thank you

I know you can't charge your Moto with a normal USB cable (it will force a data connect), so I won't even ask.

FYI. If you buy the moto phone tools suite, it enables charging over USB.

Of all the replies I received to my recharging question, it seems that canderson has given me the right answer. Sounds like I can use my motorola wall charger, which is my question. Whoever gave me info about a car charger didn't answer my question which was about charging in a home outlet. Thank you

Sorry I wasn't reading so carefully and thought you meant car charger. I can't help you on that one, I don't even know where my moto wall charger is any more. Ever since I got the moto phone tools software, all my home charging (multiple Tomtoms, moto phone, and palm TX) are done off a USB hub.

I agree with Canderson, you're probably fine as USB standard is 5V. The only USB chargers I've seen that don't comply are some old HTC ones.

One option to be 100% sure is to buy a Tomtom branded charger. They are really cheap here.

Last edited:
One option to be 100% sure is to buy a Tomtom branded charger. They are really cheap here.

We have one of those. In fact, the charger is right in front of me now. My wife used it when she took the TomTom to Europe and New Zealand. Comes with a USB cable which slides into a North American plug adapter (5V @ 1 amp printed on it) as well as 3 other plugs for use in other countries.

Ask a Question