Reboots and connects to PC

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
New problem with my XL-335TM.

After getting some map corrections tonight and new safety camera data, HOME tried to upload a map correction I made (added a red light camera). The message said there was a server problem and the correction would be uploaded next time.
HOME couldn't reach TomTom server to upload your Safety camera reports, but they will be uploaded next time.
No big deal I thought.

But... after I 'safely disconnected' from HOME, and TT rebooted, the TT couldn't find any satellites. After about one minute, it rebooted and connected to computer without me tapping 'connect to computer'. HOME launched and checked for updates. I did this two more times with the same result.... the TT rebooting and connecting to PC.

After reading some threads on the forum regarding reboot, I read a thread where Canderson suggested using "operate my Go on HOME". I did this for awhile... disconnected and then it found satellites and seems ok. Very weird. Not sure what all this means. Did this happen because a correction wasn't uploaded? Was a map correction corrupt? Don't know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks dhn. Don't know why the title didn't change. I clicked on 'advanced' when editing.

I tried uploading the map corrections (safety camera) again this afternoon. Got the error stating could not connect to server again. This time, my TT disconnected and booted normally. Whew!
_________

After activating the safety cameras, a day or so ago, today I drove around town where there are some known "red light" cameras. They have been there for almost a year. The TT never warned me... didn't see an icon. I added another camera correction via TomTom today. Maybe there's something else I need to do? Or... the data base didn't have these cameras? Not sure.

I read some discussion that camera detectors in the U.S. are not legal so maybe although I've downloaded the 'safety camera' portion from TomTom I can't use it? Is this possible?

Thanks.

I'm still getting this problem with rebooting sometimes after ANY kind of update via HOME. Today I just downloaded some map corrections (skipped the GPS quickfix). After disconnecting (safely), the unit reboots as normal. After about a minute of not finding any satellites, it reboots and automatically connects to computer (never asked if I wanted to connect to computer). I followed dhn's and canderson's suggestion about using "operate my unit" and deleted a favorite. Then disconnected safely, and the TT rebooted... looked for satellites, after about 1 minute, it rebooted again and connected to PC.

Next, I went ahead and downloaded the GPSquickfix, then operated my go... or unit. Same thing. Rebooted... couldn't find satellites, rebooted and connected to PC.

This next time I used HOME's 'operate my unit' and navigated to some address, let it run in a demo mode with for a few turns. Then stopped the demo, ended 'operate my unit', and safely disconnected my TT. THIS TIME the unit booted ok.

What's going on? Is anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if it's something about map corrections.

Is there a way to uninstall map corrections? I don't see that as an option in 'managing my device'. Just thinking it might be worth a try.

This is making me think about not using HOME any longer. But... that's the only way to get new maps when the time comes. Kind of a catch 22. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help.

You can eliminate mapshare corrections in Home-->Tools-->Map Share Corrections-->etc.

Thanks dhn,

Ok, I removed the map corrections. We'll see if this corrects my 'reboot' problem.

HOME has never been able to upload my safety camera additions (keep getting server error). I've tried several times over the past week without success. I wonder if this might be what's causing my 'reboot' problem? Is there a way to remove those additions from my TT?

Also, since safety cameras have never worked on my unit, maybe I should just delete this via HOME?

Thanks.

My XL-335TM is still rebooting. Today when I turned it on (without being connected to the PC), it kept rebooting. Before this, the unit has only done this after some update via HOME, mapshare, quickfix, safety cameras.

I found a link in a TT forum in Australia where the same suggestion is made... use TT HOME to add or deleted a favorite (have to use the cache in order to read without registering).

Tomtom rebooting caused by mapsettings.cfg - Austech

Since it looks like it has to do with the 'mapsettings.cfg' file, I tried replacing that file with one of my backups (first renaming the orig file as 'mapsettings.old'). Didn't work... still rebooted. I had to 'operate my unit' via TT HOME and add a favorite. Then after disconnecting safely, the unit booted without a problem. I purposely did not do any updates as I wanted to see for sure that 'operate my unit' is what is fixing the reboot problem.

I have two backups on my PC... one with the newer map, one with an older map. Not sure I want to go through the hours it takes to format and Xfer from backups. Besides, I doubt this will fix the problem. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about returning my XL335TM. I've never had this much trouble with my 3 yr old TT 3rd edition. If this unit starts to reboot while on a trip it will be useless as I won't have access to a PC with HOME on it.

This new model reboots too often and won't stop until I use TT HOME and add or delete a favorite (which has been a work-around suggested here a few times).
Any suggestions? Thanx.

<< edit to add >>

I deleted all mapshare downloads... my own and what ever was downloaded via HOME over the past 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Ok, it seems to have gotten worse. It's rebooted several more times and then (if not connect to PC), hangs on the spash screen.

I really want to get this working as I like IQ routes and the features of the TomTom. I've tried deleting the mapsettings.cfg and rebooting. That didn't work either. Then 3 times connecting to HOME and ran a 'navigate to' simulation. That seemed to do it ... this time.

Please, can someone please help???

Would it be worth removing the App from the unit and PC via TT HOME then letting HOME reinstall it? Should I do a chkdsk? Or... what's the best approach?

Thank you.

Rick,

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then format your unit's internal drive. Don't use quickformat.

Copy back only your specific map folder and the computer voice folder (Vocalizer or loquendotts, I forget which).

Connect the unit to Home.

Download the application offered. See if that helps.

Thanks dhn,

I guess I'll have to format but... I forget whether we're supposed to use FAT16 or FAT32?

I have two backups... one with the older map and older app ?? and one backup with the 855 map and app 9.056.

While I'm waiting on a response, I removed my application using HOME. Then reinstalled it. It seems to be working... but it said I needed a new application twice. Before doing this, I had 9.056. Now I have 9.026. Should I stay with this older app for awhile?

Thanks.

Your traffic antenna won't work with 9.026. So you'll need 9.056.

If it reboots again, do the following:
- connect to the computer
- do a chkdsk /f on the Tomtom drive
- run "Operate my XL" and add a favorite

Thanks MVL,

Didn't realize that 9.056 is needed for traffic to work. :rolleyes: I just now updated the app to 9.056. So far it seems to be working... no reboots so far.

If it reboots again, I'll do a chkdsk /f plus the 'operate my unit' via HOME again.

I appreciate the help.

Update...

It's been a week since removing and letting HOME reinstall the navcore. So far so good. No reboots.

Ask a Question