Updated XXL540M - Search for POI reboots unit

- et -

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540, GO Live 1535, GO 620
Installed the 8.75 map last week (and also accepted an update to HOME). No visible problems until I got into my car and tried to navigate to a POI in another city. This rebooted my XXL540, and subsequent investigation showed that any search for a POI will now trigger a reboot as soon as I click on the icon for the type of POI search (address, in city, etc.) Other than this issue, the XXL540 appears to perform without any problems.

Any ideas about the cause? I did a complete Explorer backup before updating the map, so I can probably recover once I know what to do. (As luck would have it, the boot drive on that computer crashed the next day, but my backup is on RAID 5 data drives, so I should be able to get the files once I fix the boot drive.)

BTW, the map update was done via this computer, so the issue should not be related to the problem with the computer to which I backed up the XX540.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Tom, was the poi you were looking for part of the poi.dat file supplied in 8.75 or was it a custom poi file?

And what application are you running on the 540?

Tomtom has a bug that causes crashes when pulling up certain recent cities/streets/etc from a map version that is earlier than the one used on the Tomtom.

To fix, do the exact same search once in Operate my XXL in Tomtom HOME. It succeeds and clears out the cobwebs. Then disconnect properly and it should work fine on the device.

Problem solved

Tom, was the poi you were looking for part of the poi.dat file supplied in 8.75 or was it a custom poi file?

It was part of the POI file provided by TomTom.

By application I assume that you mean the version number, which is 9.061.

BTW, the problem was resolved with the classic fix of connecting to HOME and navigating to a destination using the interface on the computer screen, after which everything seems to work as intended. I was aware of this fix for other problems after a map update, but everything worked perfectly except for the reboot when attempting to select a POI, so I assumed that there was a different problem involved.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Thanks

Tomtom has a bug that causes crashes when pulling up certain recent cities/streets/etc from a map version that is earlier than the one used on the Tomtom.

To fix, do the exact same search once in Operate my XXL in Tomtom HOME. It succeeds and clears out the cobwebs. Then disconnect properly and it should work fine on the device.
The problem was resolved by connecting to HOME and navigating to a destination using the interface on the computer screen, after which everything seems to work as intended.

I was aware of this fix for problems after a map update, but everything worked perfectly except for the reboot when attempting to select a POI, so I assumed that there was a different problem involved.

Thanks for the help.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

It was part of the POI file provided by TomTom.

By application I assume that you mean the version number, which is 9.061.
In looking at this, I see that my reply was not as clear as it should have been, so I'll update it in case it will be of help to someone else in the future.

The reboot of my unit did not happen when I clicked on a specific POI such as a given hotel or restaurant - as I never got far enough for that to happen. The scenario I was experiencing was that it would reboot when I clicked on a POI Category. I would click on "Navigate To" then "Point of Interest" but when I clicked on an icon such as "POI in city", the unit would lock up for perhaps 10-20 seconds and then reboot.

This repeated multiple times with other icons such as "POI on route", etc. All other functions such as "Navigate To" "Favorite", "Navigate To" "Recent Destination", and "Navigate To" "Home" worked without a problem.

The issue disappeared when I connected to HOME and used the "Operate your GPS" function in HOME to do a Demo navigation to a nearby recent destination.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Often an indication the mapsettings.cfg on the unit had become corrupt and when it was rewritten following the use of the emulator it got repaired.

Ask a Question