Continual "No route planned" reboots

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540TM
I am a Canadian overwintering in Florida and hoped that a new TomTom would make it easier to find things in a foreign environment. My XXL 540TM is uptodate according to HOME but if I use the simple "Navigate to" destination it will sometimes work fine on an outbound trip but if I then want to go elsewhere or even just return to base it seems to initially plan the route but very soon after I just get a "No route planned" message and I am left to my own devices. The most frustrating thing is there seems to be no logic as to why this will happen on some occasions and not all the time. Do I have a defective unit, is this a problem in Florida, has anyone else experienced this problem? I have previously rebooted the unit and have deleted all itineraries but to no avail. Any ideas?

What restrictions do you have under planning preferences? Sounds as if some are getting in the way of a proper route.

Thanks for thought but I only have the basic two selections available: "Always plan fastest routes" and "Enable" IQ Routes. Surely TomTom should work fine for these settings?

On another issue - I have noticed that the last two times in past week that I have connected to the computer HOME is saying "no updates available" whereas usually I was getting Safety Camera and QuickGPS updates pretty well every time - is any one else noticing this? I did accidentally delete USA Basic in \raster directory last week but I copied it back on to TomTom from my backup, I would not have thought that would stop updates.

You sure that in subsequent planning screens you don't have restrictions for avoiding toll roads or avoiding highways or something like that?

On the other matter, you can delete everything in your ephem folder on your unit and then go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris\ and remove any subfolders found there.

That should result in a new gpsquickfix file being downloaded.

After making the above response I have just noticed that there are additional settings that I have made so here they are:
ask me if I want that route (if traffic situation changes and faster route is available)
warn me when my route passes through an area with limited map information
ask me when there are toll roads on my route
ask me when there are ferries on my route
ask me when there are carpool lanes on my route
ask me when there are unpaved roads on my route
do I want route summary screen to close automatically after 10 seconds - NO

Most of above items are not applicable on routes planned to date but traffic situation changes have occured rarely, and the one that obviously happens all the time is the last one - to experiment for now I have changed the option to YES.

Any other ideas? Thanks

PS I did as you suggested for ephemeris directory on computer and it worked perfectly. Thanks

Last edited:
Well, understand this:

If you navigate from A to B and IQ routing is enabled, then setting a route from B to A may NOT just be a reversing of the roads initially taken.

It is the 'route not found' that concerns me, though.

Without a restriction to avoid toll roads or something like that should not result in that happening, if the only route MUST include toll roads.

For example, if you plan a route from NF, Ontario to NF, New York and then ask or a route home AND Avoid toll roads is checked, then you WILL get the 'route not found' error as TT considers the bridge where you have to pay as being a toll road.

Could that be the problem?

I understand if you reverse routes it may not be the same both ways, particularly because of IQRoutes and traffic conditions. I always allow toll roads in the USA because costs are very reasonable.

But to come back to my original problem, TomTom appears to calculate and plan a route and shows it as a summary on the usual map view, but within a short time (whether I go to usual route view or not) it will (sometimes) ask me if I want to clear the route and then regardless of response I just get the "no route planned" message and everything has disappeared!! Most frustrating as I am then usually on the road and cannot pull over to reprogram. I am wondering if I should erase all files on my device and then restore from my last Explorer backup which was done before this problem appeared (although I have not used it much in Ontario at all because the main use initially is here in Florida).

Otherwise could it be a hardware problem (device only 3 months old)?

Don't imagine it is a hardware problem.

If you DO have an Explorer backup of the contents prior to this issue starting and IF the backup includes your current version, then I'd say yeah, delete everything on the unit and use Explorer to restore your backup.

But make sure you are NOT restoring an older version of the map over a newer version.

(Mind you, the 865 map is due within a week or so, anyway ..... :) ).

Ask a Question