tomtom510 bluetooth continually disconnects phone

I'm using my Tomtom 510 with a Sony/Ericsson w810i. The two devices pair-up just fine and I've successfully made outbound and recieved inbound calls on the TomTom. :)

Problem is, the bluetooth connection continually goes down & then reconnects so, I get a "Connected ..." msg on my TomTom/phone followed 1/2 minute later by "Disconnected from TomTom" on my phone (which the phone insists on accompanying with an annoying beep). We've called Sony & TomTom but, neither will fess up to being the source of the problem. It's odd `cause during initial setup of the phone, when the TomTom downloads the address book from the phone, the bluetooth connection is solid. I've tried connecting the phone to a USB bluetooth adapter on my pc and that worked (i.e. downloaded photos/mp3s) without incident. TomTom mentioned something about being on Roger's network???? but, that doesn't make any sense to me. BTW, I'm in Toronto, Canada. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Pedro2NR. :D

Currently receiving a "Unfortunately due to a problem, we cannot serve you the information you requested. Please try again in a few moments." msg when I try to access your link. Can you please tell me a bit more about the tool? Both the TomTom & phone are loaded with the latest firmware already.

FYI - This link shows that the w810i is compatible with the 510.
http://www.tomtom.com/phones/?intPhone=147

thats weird about the link.
go to www.tomtom.com/support and type in clear flash tool.

Here is a description of the link.
If you are having one of the problems described below, it could be that there are too many files in the flash memory on your device:

You are unable to activate the map on your GO 910/510 even though you have a valid product code.
You have to enter the passkey every time you connect your GO 910/510 with your mobile phone.
Your settings are not saved when you turn your GO 910/510 on and off.
To fix these problems, follow the instructions below to download and run the TomTom Clear Flash tool.

Sorry Pedro2NR but, no better - still disconnecting/re-connecting.
Not sure what the clear tool does but, I have none of the problems the tools claims to address.
The TomTom has a 2GB card it in (I replaced the 1GB card it came with) - it's only 1/2 full.

Last edited:
I downloaded and installed "TomTom application for GO510,GO710, version: 6.525, size 9.7MB". I verified that the TomTom unit itself shows 6.525.

Try to delete your phone from your tomtom and reconnect it.
Are the options on your phone itself under the bluetooth that would help?

I've tried deleting the phone from the TomTom. No help.
The TomTom will find the phone again, it will download the address book from the phone (without any problems with the bluetooth link - i.e. it stays connected all that time) and afterwards, I can make/receive calls. It just starts disconnecting/reconnection when I'm not actively using the connection.

W.r.t. phone & bluetooth options, the TomTom is identified in the list of bluetooth devices the phone can connect with (along with my PC). I've enabled the "always allow" option so that you don't need to re-enter passcode (i.e. "0000") info. No other options are available.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any other ideas? :(

Ask a Question