HELP!! New TT XXL 540 TM continually rebooting

Help! I just got a a tomtom XXL 540-TM for Christmas. It worked great for a day, then I hooked it up to my computer (windows vista) and tried to update the maps. They downloaded but wouldn't install onto the device. Then I began getting the "no maps found" error message. I followed some instructions on another thread and manually extracted the maps onto the device. It worked-- then it started rebooting after a minute or two of being on. It does this every couple of minutes. I have been dealing with this thing for hours and am so frustrated. I've tried a ton of stuff and nothing is working!

On another note, my maps won't show up in color anymore, just a grey.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Connect it to your PC and use Windows Explorer to open the drive letter associated with the TomTom device. Locate the map folder (something like "North_America") open this folder and fing the file "MapSettings.cfg" delete this file. Don't worry the device will cretae a new MapSettings.cfg file when it re-boots.

The black and white map colours are probably due to the lack of a GPS position fix, once it knows where it is the colour should return to the map - Mike

Tried it-- no luck. It rebooted after about 2 minutes. Screen turned black, then I got the blue screen with the yellow bar that you get when it is disconnecting from the computer, then splash screen and then the safety agreement. This is repeating over and over again every couple of minutes.

Thanks

Have you got MapShare enabled on the device, if so try disabling it as the only other issue I have seen with continual re-boots has been down to POI files updated via MapShare - Mike

Ummm... how do I know if they are enabled, and how do I disable? Can't seem to find this setting. Sorry I'm very new at this!

Run TomTom Home with the device connected to the PC then go to Tools/ Map Share Preferences from the tool bar across the top of the Home Application, there should be a "Select POI Categories" tab, once you select this make sure there are no POI categories selected - Mike

I didn't have it enabled. Any other ideas? I've been trying to call their customer service line and all I get is a busy signal. I'm losing my mind over this thing.

I didn't have it enabled. Any other ideas? I've been trying to call their customer service line and all I get is a busy signal. I'm losing my mind over this thing.

Doesn't bode well, does it? Here in the U.S. I'm also dealing with essential a bricked 540TM - but when I call the support number, it just rings and rings and is never answered...

There was a batch of defective 540 models sold on Black Friday. I'm not sure if you've received one of them.

To find out, do this:
- backup the Tomtom via this method
- format the Tomtom with quickformat disabled. When done, see if you have about 1.9GB of space and no bad sectors. If you get errors in the format, try a different USB cord. If you still get issues, you probably have one of the bad batch. I'd suggest swapping it out in a store, or calling again for warranty support (they might have been closed during the recent blizzards, Tomtom phone support for North America is in upstate New York)

If the format works, your hardware is probably fine. Next:
- copy the Usa_canada_mexico folder back onto the tomtom from the backup. Within that folder delete the mapsettings.cfg file.
- Then run "update my XXL" within Tomtom home, and install the application that is offered. Keep restarting when prompted and re-updating until no new application is offered.
- After that, run "latest map guarantee" to get the newest map, then install your favorite voices, and you should be good to go.

Different fix for continual rebooting

I had the same problem with a Go 950 Live.

I tried all the different fixes...no luck. However I phoned the technical help, they told me to delete the statdata folder on the internal drive and it all now works again.

Hope it worksd for you.

K

Help! I just got a a tomtom XXL 540-TM for Christmas. It worked great for a day, then I hooked it up to my computer (windows vista) and tried to update the maps. They downloaded but wouldn't install onto the device. Then I began getting the "no maps found" error message. I followed some instructions on another thread and manually extracted the maps onto the device. It worked-- then it started rebooting after a minute or two of being on. It does this every couple of minutes. I have been dealing with this thing for hours and am so frustrated. I've tried a ton of stuff and nothing is working!

On another note, my maps won't show up in color anymore, just a grey.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Ask a Question