Re: Backups

Here is a Tip i have learnt since Owning a TomTom Sat Nav
When I first got my device like most never made a backup and had quite a few problems. The unit had to go back to TomTom a few times any way when is was all sorted out and working fine I made a Back up Via TomTom Home & Via Windows Explorer
So what I do now every time I go to Update it I back it up first
So you Backup a Known working Device then Update it so if updates fails as it has done to me over the years you still have a working backup.
When the next time you go to back up again Backup that new working version then Update
As i said i always do a Windows one every so often so you always have a TomTom Home Back up & Windows Backup sounds a bit of work but well worth it when it all goes wrong believe me it dose happen
I hope you all understand the way I put it any questions please contact me
Ian

Don't waste your time or drive space with TomTom Home backups. Always use Explorer or Finder (if on a MAC).

We have a 'sticky' about doing so.............. good advice.

A quick explanation as to why we don't like Home produced backups, firstly they are unreliable but mainly the stupid Home software will only allow a single backup of any given device, this means taking a second or subsequent backup using Home will destroy the original backup.
This inability to save the Day01 backup is why I will never use Home for something as important as backing up your data.
A second tip, once you have your Backup on the PC consider making a copy of the data on to DVD/ CD so that you have a copy on removable media in the event of Hard Drive failure at least you will still have the disk - Mike

Hi Thanks for your comments I do agree with you re Home I do a backup via Windows but surly the point of a backup is to backup the current data you have yes if you back up with Home it over wrights the last copy but buy the time i do that i have used the device and found it working fine i only update once a month so by the time i get round to backing up again any problems would have surfaced so when i do my next back up via home the data is my current data not the one i made 6 months ago or longer i like to keep the current data up to date in my backups doing it this way make it a lot easier to reinstall all the changes etc you have made to your device if you only have one backup of a known working device you will need to do all your routes POI's etc again
Im Going to try and explain again just in case Im not explaining properly

1st -Start with a Working Back up
2nd - Update your device
3rd - Make sure that Data is working fine the if so
4th - When you go to do next update Backup first as you now this data is working fine with any changes you have made
5th Then Update it then go back to 3rd make sure its working then repeat process
And as said before by (mikealder) keep a copy of the original data on DVD so you never loose the original I must say I have reinstalled using Home to the last backup i did and all was fine all saved data was there hope this Helps Cheers guys for comments

Hi,
what version is your TomTom? I had a major failure with my TomTom One and the guys at the tech support could not help me since I got my device over 2yrs ago :(

Can I ask you for a working copy of your device? I am desperate!

Thanks.

It should be possible to re-build all the files needed for the device to work BUT if you don't have a copy of the map on the PC (possibly a back up) then you will have to pay for a new map as these are device specific being locked to individual Nav units - Whats the part number on the base of your TomTom, from this we can provide some links to the correct Navcore software for your device - Mike

Thank mikealder for your Answer to that. As you said its not the software that's the problem its the Maps I would love to get New Maps for my Device without paying for them :D But then life would be just to easy
Cheers

Ask a Question