Backups

My 910 is jacked. I have a complete backup/copy of the original hard drive. Tomtom home does not see the backup. I have lost computer voices maps the ipod control does not work right. I just want to start fresh. How do I bring this back to "out of the box" if Home will not see my original backup? Any help greatly appreciated

How was the backup made? Using Home or Explorer? And, if done using Home, what happens when you click on 'restore'?

And is the backup in the location that in Home's Tools-->Folder options, it shows as the location for the backups from Home?

I do not remember if I used explorer or Home. I tried to redirect home to the folder the backup was in, got "no backup available". Tried to move the backup to the folder Home was originally looking in, got "No backup available". I think I have both types of backups. One listed as Backup 1 Is not a full copy of the hard drive. Backup 2 is. I tried to get my computer voices back and home says computer voices not supported by my device. Well they USED to work. My loquendi TTS file is over 4 gigs so all the preloaded voices are there.

What happens if you make an Explorer backup of the unit's contents now.

Then restore what you call backup 1 to the unit, overwriting what is there now.

Does the unit work then?

Look at the folder name for the computer voices is it:

LoquendoTTS

or

loquendotts

The TomTom is case sensitive and for some stupid reason when a 910 was backed up using Home in the early days it used to rename all the files and folders to lowercase. Once everything is in lowercase the device can't see the folder or the files, Linux is case sensitive.

Post back with an answer to the above, all is not lost if everything is lowercase as there is a batch file you can run to put the file names back to what they should be written by one of the moderators over on PGPSW (OldBoy) - Mike

Why is home saying my device does not support computer voices? Is there a way to get an older copy of home? My (Ithink) explorer backup lists LoquendoTTS exactly like that. How can I tell which voices are computer voices in LoquendoTTS?

What happens if you make an Explorer backup of the unit's contents now.

Then restore what you call backup 1 to the unit, overwriting what is there now.

Does the unit work then?
I am not going to overwrite my good backup?

The advantage of using Explorer for a backup is that YOU get to name the folder where you want the backup to go, unlike TomTom's backup tool that does indeed overwrite a previous backup.

So, it's good you asked for clarification..............

When I said to make an Explorer backup, for SURE name the folder differently than the one we are referring to as backup 1.

For example, name the folder: backup_July7_2011

The advantage of using Explorer for a backup is that YOU get to name the folder where you want the backup to go, unlike TomTom's backup tool that does indeed overwrite a previous backup.

So, it's good you asked for clarification..............

When I said to make an Explorer backup, for SURE name the folder differently than the one we are referring to as backup 1.

For example, name the folder: backup_July7_2011

Can I just delete contents of the tomtom drive in explorer then just copy my backup over?

Ask a Question