GO 930 - Backups

AGB

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540S WTE
GO 930, with TOMTOM Home running under XP.

At various times fiddling with settings etc, TomTom has prompted me to make backups, and I've done that. Whilst I can see menu options to restore from backup, I can;t see where these backup folders / files are actually stored? On the PC; on the TomTom?

I want to make off-site backups of my backups - so where can I hunt them down?

AGB

In Home you can set preferences of where you want your backups stored.

That said, I am wary of Home backups and prefer to do them myself with my own method and keep control of what I backup. You can use Windows Explorer to backup everything somewhere on your hard drive making sure all your files, including hidden and system files are copied to your hd. This can be long as it needs to go thru your USB connection which is slow. Then I make 2 or 3 copies of it: one on a different disk and one on a DVD. That way, even if I lose my hard drive, or accidentally erase it, there is always the DVD to go back to. You need to remember there is one sure thing, your hard drive will eventually die.

If you opt for WinRAR to backup, just chose the lowest compression level as the large map data files are already compressed and take a very long time to store when you set a medium or high compression level.

Thanks - backup systems I understand (everything of mine is copied to multiple HDDs here in the office, to 2 self-contained HDDs in other physical locations, and via Carbonite to remote server storage. Plus DVDs......

I just needed to find the first local BU, and have now done so via TomTom Home. As we speak, multiple copies are winging their way round the universe.....

AGB

Ask a Question