The importance of making Backups

TomTom Model(s)
Go-920 App 9.465 Map N A 895.4438 C&W Europe 8.30 Magellan Explorist 710
For those of you that haven’t made a backup!

Here is something that happened to me yesterday that without an Explorer backup could have made my 920 a paperweight.

When I tried to turn my unit on it would freeze at the start up screen it wouldn’t connect to the computer or go into navigation mode, or for that mater it wouldn’t turn off.

After trying several pin resets with no luck I finally copied one of my most recent backups to my SD card (via card reader) then inserted the card in my 920 and booted it up that way.
(I have had my 920 for 18 mts now and I keep at least two different Explorer backups)

I was then able to go into my computer and format my internal memory
(I did this a couple of times in fat 32 mode to be sure)

(Not sure if this was necessary but I went in Dos mode and did a check disk on my unit just incase there was a cross linked file)

Then I copied my most recent backup (app & map) to my unit then turned my unit of, removed the card and turned my unit on again and all is well.

Last edited:
Excellent advice Garcor. DHN is constantly advising new members to backup, backup. Great to have you post a perfect reason to follow that advice

Ask a Question