Making POIs, blanking screen between instructions, etc.

Hello. I have many questions about using my XL, plus some new questions which arise from trying to answer the previous questions. Can I ask many questions in one post? I hope so, here goes (in order of importance):

1. How do POIs get updated? The ones I have downloaded never update (even though it's been years since I downloaded them and there have been many changes).
  2. Is there a way to create or update a list of POIs? I have the POIs called "Bank of America ATMs USA". It never gets updated and it is way out of date. I use those POIs frequently. I want to contact BofA and get a list of all ATMs, then create my own POI.
  3. The feature to blank the screen between instructions does not work. I selected Change Preferences - Brightness Preferences - Done - "Turn of screen between instructions", Done - Done. It worked when I first selected it, but it stopped working soon after. Why might it have done that? How can I fix it? Note that it is not working whether I have the volume muted or not.
  4. Did TomTom really sell me a device where I can't replace the battery? (OK, this one is more of a rant than a question.) Is there at least a way to open the case?
  5. How come whenever I unplug my device from the computer after using "Operate my device" from TT Home, I get a warning that "The voice you have selected is not available" even though I didn't change the voice (and never do).
  6. According to this post, the latest map version is 8.60 and it increases by .05 every three months. But if I follow the instructions from this post, it says that my map version is 720.1843. Is my map from the future? How do they know what the roads will look like then? Why aren't we using Landspeeders? And why is my version so different from expected?
  7. How do I find the latest version of the application? Where can I get it from to update my device? I performed "Update my XL" from Home, but it doesn't update the application (actually, it doesn't seem to update anything).

Thanks, in advance, for helping.

Last edited:
How do POIs get updated? The ones I have downloaded never update (even though it's been years since I downloaded them and there have been many changes).

If you got them from tomtom using Home, well TT stopped sending poi updates years ago

Is there a way to create or update a list of POIs? I have the POIs called "Bank of America ATMs USA". It never gets updated and it is way out of date. I use those POIs frequently. I want to contact BofA and get a list of all ATMs, then create my own POI.

See here: Create Your Own Content Guide

The feature to blank the screen between instructions does not work. I selected Change Preferences - Brightness Preferences - Done - "Turn of screen between instructions", Done - Done. It worked when I first selected it, but it stopped working soon after. Why might it have done that? How can I fix it? Note that it is not working whether I have the volume muted or not.

Don't know what to tell you. Perhaps resetting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds may help.

Did TomTom really sell me a device where I can't replace the battery? (OK, this one is more of a rant than a question.) Is there at least a way to open the case?

Pretty much. Though there are links around on how to change batteries for various models.

How come whenever I unplug my device from the computer after using "Operate my device" from TT Home, I get a warning that "The voice you have selected is not available" even though I didn't change the voice (and never do).

Home software is flawed. One problem is that it removes certain settings on the user's unit sometimes. Your example is one of them.

According to this post, the latest map version is 8.60 and it increases by .05 every three months. But if I follow the instructions from this post, it says that my map version is 720.1843. Is my map from the future? How do they know what the roads will look like then? Why aren't we using Landspeeders? And why is my version so different from expected?

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen shows the application installed. Now, tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version number.

Thanks. I found that, too. It seems I still have to learn about geocoding.

All the geocoding references I found are for exotic geocoding services that require registration, payment, and programming skills that I don't have. Any suggestions on an easy way to geocode?

Ask a Question