TomTom RDS-TMC cable not making good contact?

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I have a TomTom 930T, and it's recently developed a problem.

The RDS-TMC cable isn't making good contact anymore. It physically inserts just fine, but won't display the "Connecting to RDS-TMC" message on screen at all, even after waiting about 10 seconds (the usual amount of time it takes).

I'll try wiggling the connector, unplugging and replugging it, and eventually it works. It's on its last legs, though.

Any chance I can get a new RDS-TMC cable from TomTom, without having to purchase a new RDS-TMC subscription? My subscription still has most of a year left on it.

I have to take my TomTom down to stash it away, because it's in an obviously visible area. I'd love it if TomTom made the RDS-TMC connector as quick and easy to detach, as the USB charger connector!

I'm dreading having to call TomTom customer support: among the worst of any companies I have ever faced.

Is yours the usb connector type or the (older) male plug type of antenna?

Yeah, you may have to call them. sometimes you get lucky ... :)

Is yours the usb connector type or the (older) male plug type of antenna?

Yeah, you may have to call them. sometimes you get lucky ... :)

The RDS-TMC connector has the male plug, kind of like a RCA jack but not quite.

The power connector for the TomTom 930T is USB, though.

See if you can find someone else with a TomTom that has the round RDS-TMC socket fitted and insert your receiver to the other TomTom to see if it works.

The fault might not be with the receiver it could quite easily be the socket in the base of the TomTom as these have been known to fail - Mike

See if you can find someone else with a TomTom that has the round RDS-TMC socket fitted and insert your receiver to the other TomTom to see if it works.

The fault might not be with the receiver it could quite easily be the socket in the base of the TomTom as these have been known to fail - Mike

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody else with a TomTom.

That's unfortunate that the socket would go bad. Would TomTom be able to repair this? Or, is it considered out of warranty?

I'm thinking I might have to become yet another refugee who goes over to Garmin.

It's interesting how the GPS makers have divvied up the world: Garmin in USA, TomTom in Europe, and Navman in Australia.

I have seen examples where the connector in the base of the PND has broken, no reason to expect this to be the case with your unit though, the suggestion of trying a different device was to establish which bits gone wrong the PND or the receiver.

It's interesting how the GPS makers have divvied up the world: Garmin in USA, TomTom in Europe, and Navman in Australia.
Not really:

Garmin main HQ America
TomTom is from Holland
Navman was NewZealand

Mike

Called TomTom, can't get replacement cable

I called TomTom.

The lady on the phone was rather eager to help, but unfortunately, did not know anything.

She told me my TomTom 930T was out of warranty, as it is over 1 year old, and that there's nothing she can do for me.

I wanted to buy another RDS-TMC cable to try it, to see if that fixes the problem.

According to her, they don't sell individual cables as replacement parts.

Any hope of a solution here? Does anybody have a spare cable they can sell me?

My TomTom is a 930T, with a built-in traffic receiver, so it doesn't need the receiver box. Just the cable.

Non of the x30 models were sold with integral RDS-TMC receivers, the receiver than was included in the box was more than just an aerial as it contained the RDS electronics in the small plastic "bubble" about 4" away from the plug.

You can still get RDS receivers for Europe that will work with your device see Here this particular unit plugs in to the mini USB charger socket rather than the round socket on the base of the unit and is a better bet as it might be the socket on the base of your 930 thats damaged (they do break rather easily)

It doesn't appear to have any RDS receivers available for sale in the USA though - Mike

Last edited:
Non of the x30 models were sold with integral RDS-TMC receivers, the receiver than was included in the box was more than just an aerial as it contained the RDS electronics in the small plastic "bubble" about 4" away from the plug.

Wow, interesting. I didn't know that, and that would explain the extremely high cost of what I thought was just an antenna cable.

You can still get RDS receivers for Europe that will work with your device see Here this particular unit plugs in to the mini USB charger socket rather than the round socket on the base of the unit and is a better bet as it might be the socket on the base of your 930 thats damaged (they do break rather easily)

That's great! I didn't know the USB port could be used in 2 directions: both to the PC, and also to an accessory device like this. I think my round socket might be damaged, so in this case, it's good to have something that can use another socket. Does it block the use of the charger to provide power?

It doesn't appear to have any RDS receivers available for sale in the USA though - Mike

Not surprising. From what I can gather, it looks like TomTom's business in the USA is collapsing. No new products have been announced, unlike Europe, and TomTom's removed some old products as well. Just try to find anything about the 930 on the USA webpage anymore.

Too bad the US dollar is weak... this will be an expensive cable.

Too bad the US dollar is weak... this will be an expensive cable.

The European cables don't work in the USA, so importing one won't help.

Look on ebay for cables. The ones that sell for about $20 work on the GO 930, they use the round socket instead of the USB socket. Just be careful to make sure it is a USA cable, not a European one.

I have a 930T Tomtom bougth 2 years ago. The round socket is still ok but il seems that Tomtom LTD are asking for a subscription to be able to use the TMC traffic reiceiver in Canada.

Charb

I have a 930T Tomtom bougth 2 years ago. The round socket is still ok but il seems that Tomtom LTD are asking for a subscription to be able to use the TMC traffic reiceiver in Canada.

Charb
I take it that you purchased the unit and used it in the U.S., then subsequently moved to Canada? Or are you just now hooking up the RDS/TMC antenna in Canada for the first time, having bought the unit there?

Ask a Question