RDS-TMC Traffic Subscription Update Issue

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920T
Hi All-

Am new to the discussion group, but am in need of some feedback from others that may have experienced the same problem I'm having.

I've got a Go 920T that I've been happily using to get me around everywhere. When I purchased the unit, I also got a 1 year subscription to the RDS-TMC traffic service. Everything worked really well here in the DC area. About a month ago, I started getting popups on my Go screen advising me that my subscription was about to end and that I needed to renew for another year using Tom Tom Home. Following their instructions, I purchased another year's worth of service using Home. Home then attempted to download the update file, which was tiny, but was unable to do so. I encountered an error message telling me that TomTom's download server was unreachable and that I should try again later. I've done so periodically, but have had no luck. I have, however, been able to download other services (POI, maps etc.) without an issue.

I finally contacted TomTom tech support, and opened up a ticket with them. I was told that they were a little backed up at the moment, having just come off the Thanksgiving holiday, but that someone would get back to me within 5 business days. I didn't hear back form anyone, so I called back for a status. I was told that the ticket had been escalated to their engineering group for research, and that someone would contact me shortly. I'm still waiting...

I got the feeling from both of the reps. that I spoke with that they weren't quite sure how to handle my issue...or what to tell me, as they both fumbled for words and their voices did not sound reassuring.

Has anybody encountered this same subscription renewal issue? If so, how was it resolved?

Thanks

Mac...I feel your pain...I had a similar issue - see my post here

Essentially you need to know....
  • TT Support is outsourced and they work from a script. :confused:
  • They state they are NOT allowed to contact Tier2 support via phone:eek:
  • They are having problems resetting the "expiration clocks" on the RDS-TMC Antennas:confused:
  • When I called a few months back (10/08) the Tier2 engineer was out on disability but TT Helpdesk just kept sending him emails anyway :mad:
  • Suggest you call the number (978.287.9555) I listed, explain your problem - they will get you to someone who can actually help you:)
  • If you play your cards right, you can usually get a free map update out of them as well, be polite, but also demonstrate how upset you are, etc.:D

Good Luck...

Thanks Berk

Thanks, Berk! I'll give this a try and let you know what transpires. It's amazing to me just how small an operation these guys are considering how many units they sell per year, on a worldwide basis. Keep your fingers crossed!

Well...I called the 978 number that you had listed in your posting, and was directed to Bryce Kotei, who is a Manager of Technical Support. He was in meetings, so I had to leave a voicemail message...a long one at that - explaining my issues and asked hims for a call back. I'm giving it a few hours and will call him back if I don't hear from him by then.

UPDATE:

Ok..well...Mr. Kotei never called me back. However, he apparently has directed one of the techs to mail me a new antenna and RDS-TMC unit. Here's their response:

"Dear Sir,

Bryce had asked me to contact you in regards to your issue. As I mentioned in my previous email, the issue downloading the update is due to an authentication error from our servers. There are a number of possible causes for this, but it in no way relates to the device or the antenna.

I understand that the current antenna works properly, however we cannot update your antenna with the subscription extension without this going through TomTom HOME. Since we cannot provide an immediate solution to the error you've encountered, I've opted to send you a new antenna with a one year subscription already assigned to the product.

The error which you are viewing through HOME has been reported to us which you can see in your System Information file that you attached to this incident. There are 5 reported error ID's associated in this system information file which have provided us with information about your issue. These error incidents are reviewed by our development team regardless of the issue being reported through support.

While the incident you view may show a "solved" status to incidents, this does not mean that your incident has actually been resolved. All appropriate details from your file have been forwarded to the appropriate department for review."

Hmmm...well....I guess they've got their workaround...I'll give this a try once I recieve the delivery.

Last edited:
Well...all is well. They sent me the new antenna, and I plugged it into my unit and was back up using the traffic feature without any further tinkering on my part. So, while they try to figure out why their server won't authenticate properly, they're sending out the antennas as the workaround.

Ask a Question