TomTom Support (or Lack There of)

TomTom Model(s)
Recently I had to open a support case b/c my RDS-TMC antenna stopped working immediately after I upgraded from a GO910 to a GO920...

After 30-40 minutes of working w/ tier 1 support, they said they would have to escalate to tier 2 and I would receive a call in 24-48 hours.

After 3 days and no calls, I followed up and was told it would be 3-5 business days.

Guess what, after 5 business days I followed up again, b/c I received no call...I was told it could be 7-10 business days; I asked for a supervisor, who told me he assumes it is being worked on by engineering, but support has no way to contact them other then by email; they are NOT allowed to pick up the phone:eek: ...I was told if I don't receive a called in 24 hours, open a CRS (customer relation request), which I did.

...to make a long story short after waiting 24 hours for the CRS to call back (which never did) I called again and got no where - I did find out however the US TomTom support is outsourced and they are NOT TomTom employees.

A quick google search revealed TomTom US Corporate HQ phone number (978.287.9555). I called spoke to a very nice operator that handed me off to an engineer and in 15 minutes he told me TomTom Support was escalating to an engineer that was out on disability for the past month and continues to be out on disability...probably why no one responded to the email. Furthermore he solved my problem (sort of) by sending a new antenna (it should arrive tomorrow - hopefully it will work).

I spoke with a supervisor today to go over the issue - he had nothing to add, except for a lot of double-talk; he would make a good politician; I asked him about MapShare and Home 2.4 to see if their is any known issues; here is the response in part (i'm paraphrasing)...Other users have called w/ the same issue, we have been able to replicate in our offices as well, but their is no known issue, nor have we escalated to engineering, etc :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Long of the short if you don't get anywhere with TomTom Support call corporate HQ!

I upgraded from a 910 to 920 (and have a RDS-TMC), and traffic did not work initially because when you change devices, you have to reset your account for Plus Services (including traffic) to work. It is possible you receiver still works, but if you are getting a free replacement (do you have to mail the old one back ?) great!

Do you still have the 910? If not (or if you want to use your existing traffic subscription on the 920 - you can't use it on both), you need to assign the 920 to you TomTom account through Home - and then you need to add your account info to your device itself through "My TomTom Account".

This should get your traffic working again with the receiver. if you also use data through bluetooth - you have more work to do.

As for TomTom support - I had pretty good results from the call in center on this and bluetooth issues a few weeks ago. BUT, when I called a few days ago on what should have been a rather simple issue (battery saver options), I got a complete idiot who sounded like he had never done this before. When he put me on hold a few times, it got no better after he talked to whomever in the support group.

Is it possible they went to an outside center in the last week or two?? I remember when Earthlink did that a few years back (laid every one off suddenly and went off-shore), and their excellent service went totally into the toilet.

If TomTom has done that - it will come back and bite them.

I upgraded from a 910 to 920 (and have a RDS-TMC), and traffic did not work initially because when you change devices, you have to reset your account for Plus Services (including traffic) to work. It is possible you receiver still works, but if you are getting a free replacement (do you have to mail the old one back ?) great!

Do you still have the 910? If not (or if you want to use your existing traffic subscription on the 920 - you can't use it on both), you need to assign the 920 to you TomTom account through Home - and then you need to add your account info to your device itself through "My TomTom Account".

This should get your traffic working again with the receiver. if you also use data through bluetooth - you have more work to do.

As for TomTom support - I had pretty good results from the call in center on this and bluetooth issues a few weeks ago. BUT, when I called a few days ago on what should have been a rather simple issue (battery saver options), I got a complete idiot who sounded like he had never done this before. When he put me on hold a few times, it got no better after he talked to whomever in the support group.

Is it possible they went to an outside center in the last week or two?? I remember when Earthlink did that a few years back (laid every one off suddenly and went off-shore), and their excellent service went totally into the toilet.

If TomTom has done that - it will come back and bite them.

I no longer have the 910 - it was RMA'd and replaced w/ the 920; They do want the old antenna back to "test" it...

I do not use any "bluetooth" plus services on my cell phone b/c Verizon charges and additional $15/month for "tethering" which I refuse to pay.

How do i reset my account for Plus services? Is that something I do, or is it something they do?

As for TT Support - as long as they can "follow the script" my experience with them has been better then expected, however once they have to go off script, they are less then desirable...

You can do all of it. If you no longer have the 910, and do not use the bluetooth data, then your road should be easier.

Assign you new unit to your existing account though Home - it should ask you to do that when you connect it and try to log on to your account.

Then on your 920, add your account info per my earlier post. Also, by pressing the lower right corner, a small icon showing your application should come up. Press it and you should see all you unit information, including device code. Carefully copy it down, as you will need it latter.

Now all you have to do is to go to their website and logon to your account. Then go to Support, and it should ask you to choose your device and then at the bottom ask you to add/change you device code so add/change it to the new code.

Then go to Plus services, and it should show you traffic subscription on the right. Go to traffic under Plus services, and you should see a reset button and some text saying if you want to use your subscription on a different device (which is what you are doing), you need to reset the device. Do it.

All the above (except for the last paragraph) and resetting my data connection I did without TomTom support. But I kept on getting a message that "your Plus services were set up for a different device and cannot be used on this one. Go to TomTom support page....) when trying to use any Plus services.

4-5 calls over two days, and they could not get it straightened out (we were going to set up a whole new account to get around it), but all it took was the device reset on the traffic page and it was done.

Good luck

The problem I am having is that traffic in Seattle stopped working properly 3 weeks ago and despite talking to techsupport several times, my "escalated" support ticket keeps getting closed.

Even this morning I still had the same multiple entries for traffic (sometimes as many as 13 for an 18mile drive) and saying 1hr 20min trip that was over in 45min - 10mins over the 35min it is w/o traffic

Last email I had was "aware of the problem" followed by a "Solved status" email despite it being still unsolved and my posting updates as requested by TT's techsupport

Something has gone VERY VERY wrong at TT lately

Ask a Question