Problems with Map Activation

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes 2
Hi. About 2 months ago I upgraded my old Tomtom One to an XL IQ Routes 2. I notified tomtom.com of the upgrade, and got my account changed. All was good until a week ago when I connected it to my PC to charge the device and TomTom Home decided to update it for me. The result was the map is now unusable. I have had this same issue previously on my One - and the 'fix' from Tomtom was to format the device, and delete the tomtom folder in My Documents. This did work previously - so I gave it a try. No luck! No matter what I do, I get the same error telling me I cannot use the map as it needs to be activated.

This may be valid info - or a red herring - but the map name ends with 161, and I'm sure when it installed the map I saw a flash of a filename ending 169....

I've emailed tomtom support and tried phoning - but if anyone can help in the meantime - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gez

I guess a call to UK support is needed:

Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. GMT

Don't email...........

Update...

Having checked the contents of the Map folder in My Docs - I can see the activation file name refers to 169 whereas the map itself ends in 161... Do these need to match up?

Thanks again. I've just spoken to tomtom support. The guy didn't know why it's not working - but while it was re-copying I asked about the activation and map filenames. Apparently the last three digits are relevant - and should match. On my PC (and tomtom) these are different (161 map and 169 activation code). I think he must've been due to finish for the day as he sent me an email asking for screenshots, etc and said he would escalate the issue.

Will post on here when I hear from them again, and hopefully save someone else the hassle I've had.

Kind regards.

As I said, you can install without using Home.

In fact, using WinRar, you can look at the contents of the compressed map cab file. It'll show the last 3 digits of the map AND if you look withing the .zip file in the originally cab file, you'll see an activation.cab file. If that number matches the map number, you can probably do the installation without using Home and it should all work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've now got the map working, thanks to TomTom support. Apparently there have been issues with the latest map update for many people. It was as I expected - the map and activation file did not match up.

One other thing I've found out - the newer tomtom's (my XL IQ routes 2 included) cannot use the POIs picked up for free on other sites like PocketGPSworld. Apparently the POI's are now restricted to tomtom home downloads, or DIY ones. :(

Ask a Question