Issues/problems with installation of map 955

Apparently, some users of Nav 3 devices are encountering a problem where the 955 USA_Canada_Mexico is too large for their device so a zoned map is offered. BUT the downloading/installation does not complete. If the user has a device with a card slot and has a microsdhc card installed, it should be ok. BUT users with a device without a card slot (like a 2535) will not be able to get a zoned map at this time. TomTom knows about the problem but no resolution .... yet.

If you successfully did download a zoned map to your device, would you mind posting the model and specific map zone installed (and whether you have a microsdhc card)? I can report the information to TomTom to help in their investigation.

I have XXL 540 tm without card slot. Had to delete whole folder with map in order to install just USA zone.

Indeed -- zones are becoming a necessity for units without SD cards as the maps continue to grow with additional information. At least you got the whole USA zone in. Some get stuck with only partial USA maps.

You shouldn't have had to manually delete the folder, though. Home should have offered to manage that business for you.

Indeed -- zones are becoming a necessity for units without SD cards as the maps continue to grow with additional information. At least you got the whole USA zone in. Some get stuck with only partial USA maps.

You shouldn't have had to manually delete the folder, though. Home should have offered to manage that business for you.

Home didn't manage anything. I just had to play around to find the way. Actually I didn't delete folder I just cuted and pasted on my computer HDD. And if I need to go lets say to Canada instead of upgrade map I just replace folders on Tomtom. Thank you for reply.

A nuisance to be sure, and I thought TomTom had fully caught up to the 540's already for zoned maps. Trouble is, if you paste in your old map to get Canada again, it's .. well, and old map!

Home should discover that you're 'memory bound' and handle the 'swap' of maps cleanly and without the manual effort you had to employ to make it work. It clearly understood that you were short on memory or it would not have offered you a different (USA-only) map. Sounds like they're still not quite there yet for the 540's. Were you offered any other choices other than the USA-only map?

Yes I did . But in my case what i did worked for me. And I don't think that all major roads or Hwy s in any country can be changed much that your GPS can't found them. My wife and daughter made a road trip from New York to Colorado using old maps and had no problems.(even to come back .Lol). Thank you

I've been having no issues with my XXL540TM since they offered zoned maps. Prior to that I had to delete some items from the 540.

Yes I did . But in my case what i did worked for me. And I don't think that all major roads or Hwy s in any country can be changed much that your GPS can't found them. My wife and daughter made a road trip from New York to Colorado using old maps and had no problems.(even to come back .Lol). Thank you
Depends a lot on where you're traveling. In my own neck of the woods, we've had a number of major interchanges added and reconfigured on interstates in the last few years, and new subdivisions are still popping up every year. They still haven't caught up to some of them.

I just tried to update my XL-335 to the 955 map. First HOME message said it looks like someone disconnected your device - I did not. I re-connected to HOME again and tried to update again. HOME says I need to free up some space (10 meg) so the map will fit. So it appears that the new map is on my PC. The only thing that it suggests for me to delete is the voice 'Susan' (44meg) - which I need for turn-by-turn directions.

HOME did not offer me a regional map. How can I fix this. See sig line below for device info.

Thanks.

Hi dhn,

Thanks for the reply. Thankfully I didn't have to do a reformat. After retrying HOME and not clicking on anything to delete but continue, HOME then offered me a regional map, so I was able to install one of those (Eastern US and Canada).

Now that I've thought about it, I maybe could have freed up enough space by just deleting 'cphoneme.dat'. Or... make a dat file with 0 bytes and name it 'cphoneme'.dat. I always rename that file '.old' anyway to correct pronunciation. I think that's like 27 meg or so.

HOME program sure could have been written better. I know we've all said that before. Why doesn't HOME check available space on the device before downloading a map that won't fit!? I had to wait almost 2 hours for the regional map to download and install.

For the life of me, I don't know how TomTom stays in business. o_O

Thanks again dhn. You've been around here for along time. :)

If you've renamed to cphoneme.old, it's not being used, so if you've kept a copy for later - just in case you want it - there's no reason you can't get rid of it to free up space.

Ask a Question