Issues/problems with install of map 935

I have an XXL IQ Tom Tom with 1.7GB of free space and a map that is 1.71GB in size. Is there something I can delete to accommodate this new map or am I now stuck with the last map due to memory limitations? TIA for any help

You may be limited to taking just a zoned map now. What happens when you connect to Home and choose Update my Device. what is offered, map wise?

Since the old map is being replaced, shouldn't that be enough memory?

I just installed 935.5753 on my GO 930.

You may be limited to taking just a zoned map now. What happens when you connect to Home and choose Update my Device. what is offered, map wise?

I tried to do a manual install by deleting the old map folder and pasting in the new. That didn't work so I pasted back my last map folder and now the unit is reporting "No Maps Found" but the folder is clearly in there when I look from the computer. Update is offering me a significantly smaller map, version 880

Since the old map is being replaced, shouldn't that be enough memory?

I just installed 935.5753 on my GO 930.
You'd think but I only have 1.7GB of space and the map is 1,714GB. My wife's Start has a smaller version of 935 (935.5811) that I have copied to a USB 3.0 stick. I wonder if that would work a it is newer than 880 and only 1.57GB in size vs the 1.71 I was being offered earlier.

You cannot share maps between units. They're individually locked the the serial number of the unit. Device will error out immediately upon boot.

The fact that 880 is being offered would indicate that this is the last full map to which you were entitled. Or do you have a map subscription of some sort that led you to expect later maps would be made available to you?

I tried to do a manual install by deleting the old map folder and pasting in the new. That didn't work so I pasted back my last map folder and now the unit is reporting "No Maps Found"
How did you make the copy of the map in its existing form to your PC before you started all this? Home's backup process? Manual copy? Or ??? And it WAS before you started this, correct? We need to at least get you back to where you started.

You cannot share maps between units. They're individually locked the the serial number of the unit. Device will error out immediately upon boot.

The fact that 880 is being offered would indicate that this is the last full map to which you were entitled. Or do you have a map subscription of some sort that led you to expect later maps would be made available to you?

How did you make the copy of the map in its existing form to your PC before you started all this? Home's backup process? Manual copy? Or ??? And it WAS before you started this, correct? We need to at least get you back to where you started.

I'll paste in my last map from February. I have a lifetime subscription but I did a reset so maybe it zeroed that subscription out, hence the really old map.

What does it say when you check Properties of "that" drive letter with Windows Explorer?

It says 148MB used with 1.70Gb available and the new map is 1.71GB and

Last edited:
Is there anything you could get rid of, like other voices you do not need?

From here on in, just work with canderson.
That is what I am asking. I only need the one voice (US female basic) but how can I tell which one it is? Even then, I may not have enough room but it's worth a try. Right now I am hoping I can get back to my last map! LOL. I may have screwed myself by playing around.

Use the configuration option on the unit for selecting a voice -- your current one will be shown. You can then use Home to remove any others that may exist on your unit. The XXL IQ Routes that was sold in the UK didn't support computer voices, so you'll only be deleting small files - but anything might help.

Edit - hey, wait a sec. I see you said "US female". The XXL IQR unit was sold as the XXL530 or XXL540 here. This is a US unit? If so, then it should support computer (text to speech) voices, and if there's one on your unit, removing that will free up quite a bit of memory. What are the first two characters of your serial number?

Use the configuration option on the unit for selecting a voice -- your current one will be shown. You can then use Home to remove any others that may exist on your unit. The XXL IQ Routes that was sold in the UK didn't support computer voices, so you'll only be deleting small files - but anything might help.

Edit - hey, wait a sec. I see you said "US female". The XXL IQR unit was sold as the XXL530 or XXL540 here. This is a US unit? If so, then it should support computer (text to speech) voices, and if there's one on your unit, removing that will free up quite a bit of memory. What are the first two characters of your serial number?
Ok thanks. Another 5 minutes to see if I got my last map loaded.

Well, now it is saying no maps found but this is my downloaded map from February. I think I am just going to upgrade to a unit with traffic and maps. Amazon has a Start 55TM for $105 and has great reviews.

Last edited:
There is no reason that your February map, properly backed up, should not work correctly if restored to your unit.

Is there a folder on your unit called "maps" that contains a single file? If so, by any chance does your old backup also have that folder? If so, please copy that folder to your unit as well, perform a reset on your unit, and see if anything changes.

And while you're at it...

There should be a file on your unit called ttgo.bif. You can open it with any text editor.
Look for lines reading as follows and tell us what you find on those line:

CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=

I got it sorted. I used Tom Tom home to manually load the downloaded map from my Tom Tom folder and it automatically deleted some voices and such that I don't need and is happily installing the 935 map. Well, I know a lot more about my GPS and the software now and thanks for your help gents, it is greatly appreciated. Kinda wanted that new unit though and was eyeballing the 6" screen model ($115 from Amazon with maps)so may upgrade anyways.

If you don't need Live traffic or Bluetooth bells and whistles, the Via 1605TM is one heck of a unit. Beautiful screen. Are they still available anywhere?

If you remember your password, just keep doing update my XL in Tomtom home, installing whatever it offers. It will eventually get you onto the latest map.

If things don't fit, go to Manage My XL in Tomtom home, and go to "items on device" tab, and remove all voices except one. The advanced US Female voice should fit, on that model it is Susan.

If you don't need Live traffic or Bluetooth bells and whistles, the Via 1605TM is one heck of a unit. Beautiful screen. Are they still available anywhere?
Amazon has the 1605M for a measly $119 (1605TM is $168) and I had pulled the trigger on buying one when I got my XXL sorted so, sadly, cancelled the order.

If you remember your password, just keep doing update my XL in Tomtom home, installing whatever it offers. It will eventually get you onto the latest map.

If things don't fit, go to Manage My XL in Tomtom home, and go to "items on device" tab, and remove all voices except one. The advanced US Female voice should fit, on that model it is Susan.

It all loaded fine when I did it manually through Home. Home deleted some things and installed the map. When I run update, however, it still offers the 880 map, instead of reporting up to date which is odd. I called TomTom and they said my lifetime maps is all in order on my account and I shouldn't be having any problems

Ask a Question