540TM Lifetime Map activation problems

I just received a 540TM from Amazon. It comes with a voucher to activate lifetime maps. When I try to activate in TomTom Home 2.7, I get a message saying "An error occurred. Please try again later".

It also says my map, v835.2419 is the most current and the 30-day "Latest Map Guarantee" doesn't work - it says the unit is ineligible.

Other people have reported this problem on Amazon, and the latest posting there implies that TomTom support has no idea what the problem is.

Has anyone here successfully activated Lifetime Maps for a 540TM since April 26th (the release date for the product)?

Has anyone here successfully activated another new TM or M (540M, 340TM, 335TM, etc) model?

Just trying to figure out if I should return it or wait for a fix.

Thanks,
KimR

The newest map is 845, not 835.

You need to call support at 866-486-6866 to get this sorted.

The newest map is 845, not 835.

You need to call support at 866-486-6866 to get this sorted.

Another user reporting on Amazon did call support. He spent several hours on the phone, had to fax them his voucher and sales receipt, only to be told it was being escalated and he would hear back in 5-7 days.

If he and I are the only two people in the world with this problem, I will call support - I was trying to get a reading on how prevalent the problem is.

Thanks,
KimR

Last edited:
I just gt a 335T from Amazon. I entered the lifetime code and downloaded the latest map update without issue.

I just received a 540TM from Amazon

More info from an Amazon comment:

"I was told by TomTom support that Amazon jumped the gun on selling these units and actually started selling them about 30 days to early. If you look at when the 740 Live TM is available (May 17?) that supports what they say. Anyway TomTom says everything should be straight in about one week. The CSR that worked with me got me a new US map and got all my information to enter me for the Lifetime maps. That being said I haven't really had a chance to use the unit yet on a long trip. That comes next weekend. If you get a CSR that doesn't act like he knows what is going on, ask him to check with TomTom engineering and they can update him."

Hmm. The only way Amazon could sell them is if TomTom had sent them out. Odd that they weren't prepared for them if the post at Amazon is corrrect.

Another user reporting on Amazon did call support. He spent several hours on the phone, had to fax them his voucher and sales receipt, only to be told it was being escalated and he would hear back in 5-7 days.

If he and I are the only two people in the world with this problem, I will call support - I was trying to get a reading on how prevalent the problem is.

Thanks,
KimR

I was told last Friday by TOMTOM tech support to send a copy of my voucher and that I'd here from someone in 3-5 days, I emailed it. At 6pm today I get an email requesting that I send them a copy of my receipt, I emailed that. I called tech support 20 minutes later and 22 minutes after that got a technician that told me it would be another 3-5 days before I'd hear from someone who would give me a new code.

I think this is ridiculous! They shouldn't sell you a product, take your money, and then give you the run-a-round when it doesn't do what it's suppose to do.

This is the fourth device I've purchased from TOMTOM and probably my last! If I don't have my lifetime maps working by Thursday I'm sending this unit back for a refund!

Hmm. The only way Amazon could sell them is if TomTom had sent them out. Odd that they weren't prepared for them if the post at Amazon is corrrect.
Some manufacturers want to assure that their entire distribution pipeline had been filled prior to a scheduled product launch. In the interim "embargo" period, the stuff is supposed to stay on the shelves. Could be that Amazon jumped the gun.

Amazon advertised them for pre-order for a month showing the release date as April 26th. I waited until the 26th to order.

Call up a different rep, and tell them to activate map 845 as a 1-time download until they fix their servers. The reps have the ability to do 1-time downloads as long as you prove you've got a lifetime maps model. They should have access to your earlier emails, or you can email receipts to the rep directly while on the call.

Keep asking for a supervisor if they say "3-5 days" as this workaround process is immediate - and don't get off the phone until your download starts.

Call up a different rep, and tell them to activate map 845 as a 1-time download until they fix their servers. The reps have the ability to do 1-time downloads as long as you prove you've got a lifetime maps model. They should have access to your earlier emails, or you can email receipts to the rep directly while on the call.

Keep asking for a supervisor if they say "3-5 days" as this workaround process is immediate - and don't get off the phone until your download starts.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I contacted TT tech support, gave them my reference number, let them see my voucher code and receipt. I then asked him for a 1 time download of the latest map until their server issue is resolved. I don't know what he did but he had me connect my 540 to the computer and select Latest Map Guarantee under the Tools Menu and it worked! The download began.

Immediately after the download completed a TT server error message popped up, but the map download had completed and was available when I clicked Update MY XXL. It installed without any problems and my 540TM now has the latest map. It's working as expected.

The tech assured me that my lifetime maps issue would be resolved in 3-5 days.

This forum is awesome! I'll update when I actually get the Lifetime Maps feature enabled.

Thanks again,
Sam

Last edited:
I connected my XXL last night and tried the lastest map update feature and it said a new map was available, however the map was too large for the device and it indicated a network server error. After that I could no longer get anything. Will try again and advise. See I need to update my signature! Oops.

I connected my XXL last night and tried the lastest map update feature and it said a new map was available, however the map was too large for the device and it indicated a network server error. After that I could no longer get anything. Will try again and advise. See I need to update my signature! Oops.

In TT Home use the Manage My XXL feature and delete all the voices except the one you are going to use and let it save those to the computer. There should be enough room to install the new map. You can add voices back later if you wish.

I received the server error also at the end of my new map download but it had downloaded the map and I was able to install it without any difficulty after I deleted the extra voices. In TT Home go to Update My XXL. The map should still be available there. Click install.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Similar issues with my new 340XL Live

I received my TT 340XL live from Amazon, tried to enter the activation code and got the same error as described above. Went through the tech support and am currently awaiting a new activation code (also sent in a copy of receipt and screen shot of error code). It's been 5 days with no response yet. :mad:

It works

I called CS again, and finally, they allowed me to update my map and then I re-entered my original activation code and it works! Lifetime maps!!

Voila!

Thanks TT...!

I got my TomTom XXL 540TM 3 days ago and here were what I did before activating the Map Code. I connect TomTom to my computer and follow instructions, then I back up my TomTom. I deleted all computer recorded voices foreign languages to save lots of space. I already back up TomTom to my PC so I can always retrieve them if I ever need it. Finally I clicked on use my activate code but I entered o instead of number 0 so it gave me an error and I was nervous. I then reentered the activation code again with number 0 this time and thank God it worked but it took 3.5 hours. I have also been getting map share updates. Traffic works great. I tells me what happens, how many miles away and the expectation of delay. I tapped on it and minimized delay so TomTom rerouted me. You can also have TomTom reroute you automatically.

Welcome to TTF. Hope the backup was with Explorer, not Home.

Have you taken advantage of the LMG and gotten your 850 map for the unit?

540TM Lifetime Map Updates

Just wanted to followup and let everyone know that did get my map updated and even got the TT server to accept my lifetime map update serial number. So all is great for the moment. If only some of the 720 features were included in the 540 models. Oh well, next ones maybe? I see my signature needs updated again to show the 850 version of maps.

Ask a Question