Problem With Car Charger?

G'day folks. Have been using a TT GO 730 for about 18 months now, never had any real problems until now. For what ever reason, the unit will not take a charge from the car charger, even though the green charge light is on. Have replaced the charger, just in case, same problem. Replaced the fuse in the car, just in case, and still no joy. The unit will charge up on the desk top USB charger and hold the charge. Once connected to the car charger, battery runs down pretty quickly and then shuts down as the power level drops. Contacted TomTom and they claim that the battery needs replacing, but to me it seems that is not the battery but something else, possibly the connection itself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how was it fixed? I would have thought, that if connected to any power supply, the unit should still work, as it is when on the USB charger.
Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Because there is a 5th wire involved that seems to be a "remote sense" for voltage at the TomTom end, there is some possibility that you have an issue with just that one pin on your unit's USB connection. Seems a bit of a stretch, but so is having two bad car chargers back to back.

Since your unit takes a common USB connection for charging, you can purchase an inexpensive universal USB car charger for your unit. It may take twice the time to charge the battery as the TomTom supplied unit, but will not make use of the remote sense pin and should charge and operate your unit successfully.

Hi Marlute, I have exactly exactly the same problem. When I plug the Gps into the car charger, the GPS does not even turn on. The GPS only gets power from the USB connection from the computer. You posted this last year in 2010, one year ago. Were you able to fix the problem? I dont know what to do... Please help!

Thank you

No I have not, but many people say that geting a new car charger does not solve the problem, so I dont know...

The green light just signifies that the unit is getting power, just maybe not enough power.

Have you tried resetting the unit?

Also, a Best Buy or Future Shop near you probably has car chargers for less than 20 bucks if you want to try.

Are you sure the cigarette lighter in your car is 'healthy'? Do you have a second power port in your vehicle to try?

Anyway, things to try.........

The green light just signifies that the unit is getting power, just maybe not enough power.

Have you tried resetting the unit?

Also, a Best Buy or Future Shop near you probably has car chargers for less than 20 bucks if you want to try.

Are you sure the cigarette lighter in your car is 'healthy'? Do you have a second power port in your vehicle to try?

Anyway, things to try.........
I will try everything you said, reseting the unit and maybe getting a new charger. I already connected to a second power port, but still does not work. I hope I can fix it... Thanxxx

So your saying when you plug it into the usb computer - the unit is charged.

You also state that you have two different DC output ports in your vehicle. And you have tried them both - with no charging.

First - the green light on the car power adapter - is an LED. Extremely low power. You can have a bad connection, which does not allow much current - and still read 12V; and have the green LED light light up.

This type of connection is more difficult to locate than a broken wire. With no load - everything will show as 12v and fine. Put a load on it; and no go...

Take some device, a 12v Car flashlight; or a 12V traveling cooler; or SOMETHING - and plug it into your car adapter. Does it work. Yes, or no?

Yes - your GPS car adapter needs to be replaced.

No - you need to find the bad (high resistance under load) connection in your wiring between the fuse and the adapter. I just experienced this in a car. The fuse (which of course was not blown) had developed a high resistance connection in the fuse block. Everything read 12V. But I had some lights that did not work...

Some Contractor type (heavy duty) Radios also have a DC outlet port on them... Available at your local Hardware Store. Just go to the store, ask to see a radio with a DC adapter; and plug in your GPS adapter for a second into that... see if it starts to charge. Yes - your car port is messed up. No - you would still need a new GPS adapter cord.

Maybe it is still under warranty. (The adapter cord.) You can see here to find out:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/25030-warranty-info.html

The problem is not your GPS. It would not charge using the USB if it was. The problem is the GPS adapter cord - or your car's DC port.

D.

Thanks, I just bought an universal USB charger and it works now. Cheap solution... But I agree, the cord or the car's DC port isn't working well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question