Problem with car charger

I seem to be having a problem with my car charger. The light on the charger does not come on and the charger does not appear to be charging my 720. I have seen references to changing the fuse in the charger. There appears to be a fuse in the side of the charger -- it is clearly a separate piece and has the number 2 embossed on it. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove it from the charger. Pushing does not work, pulling does not work (including pulling with pliers). Trying to pry it out with a small screwdriver does not work.

Also, since the unit worked fine in my Jetta for the last year, and quit working the second time I plugged it into my Miata, is it possible that the power supply it is plugged into could cause it to blow a fuse? And if so, how would one test for that?

I seem to be having a problem with my car charger. The light on the charger does not come on and the charger does not appear to be charging my 720. I have seen references to changing the fuse in the charger. There appears to be a fuse in the side of the charger -- it is clearly a separate piece and has the number 2 embossed on it. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove it from the charger. Pushing does not work, pulling does not work (including pulling with pliers). Trying to pry it out with a small screwdriver does not work.

I haven't seem mine yet so I can speak to that. Have you tried unscrewing the nose of the charger? The bit on the end with the center tap?

Also, since the unit worked fine in my Jetta for the last year, and quit working the second time I plugged it into my Miata, is it possible that the power supply it is plugged into could cause it to blow a fuse? And if so, how would one test for that?

Does it work in any other car you plug it into? It's unlikely you blew the fuse in the car as these are typically 30 amp fuses to handle the load from cigarette lighters. It's worth a look, though.

It is a pain to get those fuses out, but you will just have to try to get something small, like a knife blade in there. just use the knife blade on one side though, then the other, and keep working it out. Or you could take it to someplace like bubbazone and maybe they can check it for you, or at least get the fuse out. I would think they would help so they could sell you more fuses. If it happens again, go to an shop to test out your Cig plug.

Are you sure it?s not the connector on the charger. (The part that plugs into the TT)
I notice the same thing and found out it was the connector. Just wiggle it a bit to see if the light on the TT comes on while plugged into the lighter.

It is a pain to get those fuses out, but you will just have to try to get something small, like a knife blade in there. just use the knife blade on one side though, then the other, and keep working it out.

Well, that was it. It made quite a mess of the charger and of the fuse but I finally got it out. Replaced the fuse and the charger is working again.

Thanks all.

Car Charger

I don't know if this will help or if you have fixed your problem. I have found that the car charger metal plug insert that goes into the base of the Go720 is fractionally undersize, compared to the metal plug that one uses for the fast charger when used at home in the wall socket. By holding the car charger plug manually in (holding the 720 and plug together between your thumb and third finger), I have found that the light stays on. By releasing the pressure the light goes off. I even bought a new car charger and it suffers the same problem. My fix has been to nestle the 720 with plug in on the dash so it is solidly pushed in.
Hope this helps.

Ask a Question