Car charger problem

This week my tomtom 930 is having issues with the car charger. If I insert the charger plug all the way into the tomtom (at which point it kind of clicks in and is fully seated) it will not charge the unit. Used to work fine. Have had the unit for about 8 months and probably plug it into the car charger 1x per week or so. If I slowly back out the plug about 1 mm, it will start charging again. It has no problem charging when hooked up to the computer. I cleaned the plug to make sure there is nothing on it and it does not appear to be damaged. Can't really see how to clean the socket inside the unit without completely taking it apart to access it. Does not appear to be a wiring problem. Is this a common problem? Should I get another charger or is it more likely a problem inside the socket in the unit. Thanks.

If the unit is charging on the mount, probably nothing wrong with the usb opening on the unit. I'd look to replace the car charger.

Do you have another appliance (like a cell phone with car charger) to see if the recepticle in the car is ok.

If so, try calling support and see if they'll send you another car charger under warranty.

Last edited:
DHN - Thanks for the reply. Nothing wrong with the outlet in the car. Works fine for other items. I guess I will look into Tomtom support or just get another charger to see what happens. :)

Ask a Question