car battery charger not working. Help!

Gil

TomTom Model(s)
One xxl
Can I use the pc connection to charge it, & if so, how long does it take? I don't know if it's downloaded the Home stuff, tho a screen to do with pictures pops up on the pc when I plug it in. The tomtom is showing nothing, tho the green light is on.

Thanks, Gil

You can use the computer cable to charge the unit but it will be slower than with a car charger. Let it charge a good 3 or 4 hours connected to the pc.

Home is ONLY installed on the PC, you won't notice any difference on the XXL itself.

You should be able to launch Home (probably called "Home2") from the computer's Start menu, and it may well auto-launch whenever you plug in the TomTom.

When you say the TT is showing nothing, can you explain more?

Is the device working normally?
What do you see on screen when you plug it into the PC and switch it on?

Re batttery problem/Tomtom

Many thanks everyone! I charged it up for more than 4 hours & it came back to life! Thank goodness the pc can charge it. The garage said it wasn't the fuse & I stopped them checking out the wiring as I'm getting another car next week,. When it was'down' the tomtom only showed a picture of itself with the wire plugged in. Must be sign language for 'I need some power'.

Much obliged,

Gil

Did you check the fuse in the TomTom car charger?
Some use a blade fuse in the side wall, some have a cylindrical cartridge fuse under the front screw cap.

My TomTom won't come on at all. I plugged it into my computer overnight. The green light comes on in my car but I hate to leave the key turned on for two or more hours. What now?

My TomTom won't come on at all. I plugged it into my computer overnight. The green light comes on in my car but I hate to leave the key turned on for two or more hours. What now?
Did you confirm that power was being supplied by your computer overnight?

I have one machine that supplies power to the USB port as long as the computer itself is plugged in, and another machine that supplies power to the USB port only when the computer is actually booted up itself. On one occasion when I thought that I was charging my cell phone overnight from the computer, I still had a flat battery in the morning - I had plugged it in to the computer that had to be booted to have a live USB port.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question