Pro7100truck help

TomTom Model(s)
GO520, PRO7100TRUCK
Hello all,

I am trying desperately to restore/repair a pro7100truck. Its current cycle on startup: drumroll->cogwheel->red cross (where the screen hangs requesting a pc connection). A soft reset has not remedied the problem neither has using the mytomtom software. The latter sticks on "Busy repairing your PRO 7100". Having left this running overnight but to no avail. In the section "Manage Content" under the heading New Items it states your navigation device is
up-to-date. The device is pictured with the message "installing...". My one concern is available memory on your navigation device is highlighted green - used 0MB. I have scoured the internet for suggestions and sadly have no back up for the device so can not use a previous configuration. Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Thank you for your time.

@dhn
Perhaps forcing the device to try to rebuild its own code is on order?

@DriverDan
From an 'off' state, press and hold the power button past the usual point, wait a bit longer yet, and you'll see a white on black text diag screen. At that point, release the power button. Now, press the button 3 times quickly. That *should* cause the device to reload the 'last known good' release of code that is supposed to be stored internally for just such an event. The procedure may only duplicate what it's already trying to do, and hence, may fail, but it's worth a shot before having to make the call to CS, and will harm nothing.

.....That *should* cause the device to reload the 'last known good' release of code that is supposed to be stored internally for just such an event.

That's not my understanding of how the recovery mode works, canderson.
All it does is put the machine in a receptive mode to DOWNLOAD the "last good" software from the TT servers mso the OP needs to be in a place with a good internet connection before he tries it.

To quote from 'another place':
....As soon as the device is connected to the computer, MyTomTom will normally start up automatically (unless you have disabled "Start MyTomTom when the computer starts up" in the options), and will download and install the correct software for the connected device, in order to repair the corrupted files.
---
Important: The recovery process can take between 5 - 30 minutes, depending on your internet connection. If you disconnect the device from your computer during the recovery process, you might corrupt the device.

Our FAQ version of the instructions for the recovery process are here: New style TomToms - Emergency Recovery Mode

@Andy
We've had 'situations elsewhere' where when a recovery mode event occurs, the device has dropped back to a prior version of code without ever being connected to a PC, haven't we? I believe what you see listed under "Me and my device" as the "Backup" is the actual number of the build version currently stored on the unit for just such events. That's not to say that subsequent connection isn't necessary to bring the device back to a current level, but ...

All I can say is that's not been my experience the few times I've had to use recovery mode. The unit has just sat there waiting for me to connect to a PC and. the internet.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the different situation when it crashes to the spinning cogs by itself?

I suppose the simplest way to see who's right is for one of us to try it!

I believe what you see listed under "Me and my device" as the "Backup" is the actual number of the build version currently stored on the unit for just such events.

That's not to say that subsequent connection isn't necessary to bring the device back to a current level, but ...
Those two assumptions are my understanding too.

OK. Just took my Via 135, 15 seconds on the button to reboot from a power on, and holding the button for another 10 seconds brought it to the diag screen. Released button. From there, I gave it the three quick press salute.

Got cogs. It then brought up the "connect me please" screen (PND with X and cable unconnected from notebook computer). HOWEVER, past experience and this one told me to persist from that screen (had it happen in the car once -- kinda NOT in the vicinity of a PC)...

I then powered down the unit with a normal button press (screen to black).

Powered up the unit (requires 5 second or so button press). Unit very much alive, but never connected to a PC to get that way.

I'd like to hear what happens if the OP performs that series of steps.

Powered up the unit (requires 5 second or so button press). Unit very much alive, but never connected to a PC to get that way.

Ahh... but is it still on the ORIGINAL (i.e. newer) software or has it really restored to the older "backup" software version?

In other words, did it do any "emergency restoring" to an earlier point at all, or did it just wake up again?

Would what you got there have happened if the existing software install was genuinely knackered?

Depends. If the checksum on the later version turns out to be OK, I believe it will operate from that version. If not, it should punt back to the backup version if the checksum on that is still good.

Firstly thanks to all that responded to my post. I am sadly no further forward at this present time. Regarding the Emergency Recovery Mode discussed I have made several attempts but the unit fails to display a bios and boots straight to the cogwheel. I have contacted Customer Services which for this particular unit was a challenge in itself. Having relayed the information to them them they have suggested that the ERM may already have been attempted. The Operative I spoke to noted the device serial number and said a repair program would be uploaded onto one of their servers which may bring the unit back to life (whilst connecting through mytomtom). This was attempted last night but no success... I will try again later and failing this will phone CS again as they are now aware of a problem.

Having used tomtom home for all my previous sat nav needs I am somewhat unfamiliar with mytomtom setup particularly from a connection pov. I use windows 7 and it is listed as a Unidentified network (Public network) with no internet access. It will not allow me to change this. My question is this perfectly normal? Im assuming the software connects via the PC and therefore downloads via the PC also which then transfers it to my tomtom device. I just want to exclude this as the issue /process of elimination.

Yes -- unlike the appearance as an external storage device (as would have been used on the 7000), the 7100 appears as a network device, and is in fact a tiny little server in its own right. Although you connect it with a USB cable, there is 'bridge' software that converts that USB connection to a TCP/IP connection.

Much like Home for a 7000, MyTT will be your primary interface to the 7100 for updating the firmware and maps on your unit, and adding personal content (POI lists, voices, etc).

Ask a Question