Poor Screen Mount TT Go750....best alternative improvement?

TomTom Model(s)
GO750 Live Garmin Camper 760LMT-D
Apologies if this question has been asked before but i've yet to find a reliable solution.

The original TT docking mount for screen fitting is flawed in it's design in that the method of fixing to screen glass is by twisting a ring at the sucker base. Simple enough but road vibration shakes this ring loose resulting in the gps unit suddenly dropping off the screen onto the dashboard. Not much fun if this happens when negotiating an important network of roads which it generally does!

Given the retail price of this mount, i find the design appallingly bad as the twist ring is a pathetic joke. Ring is shown here at uppermost; http://oi59.tinypic.com/wbuijn.jpg

I'm sure other owners have found the same problem so i'm asking how you solved it? I've looked at the stick-on dashboard discs and wondered if this might help? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-T...521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463b4a95f9

Any other ideas anyone please?

Have to ask..........

Are you sure you are turning the dial to the position of the lock shown in that photo?

Also, make sure both the windscreen and plastic from mount are clean.

Absolutely.....it won't twist any further and you can hear the click when it "locks".

Screen is always cleaned with Auto-Glym Glass Cleaner (can't get much better than that) and the sticker is degreased. If motoring on smooth surfaces such as motorways it's generally ok, but once you hit country roads that's where it's going to happen. The first indication is the gps unit itself starts wobbling about but seconds later it will fall off the screen.

Ideally TT should have made a mount such as this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windshiel...408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339fa311f8

Works by lever control and those stick rock solid and never budge. I also have a Garmin gps and a Dash Cam.....and both use that identical type of mount. By incorporating the electrics in the docking mount TT effectively made it impossible to use any 'after market' mount such as these which is annoying. The design of the TT one is very poor.

I have the same mount on my old GO740 and it has never failed me in that way. Perhaps not so much a flawed design as a unit that's tired or had some tolerance issues to begin with. It's just not something we see on that mount here.

Prior to owning the GO750 i had an old TT 700 which wasn't even new when i bought that....yet that never had this problem because it had a lever style sucker mount. I've owned the GO750 from new and that was the first thing i noticed with it. After market lever style mounts can be bought very cheaply (as little as £1.50 or less) and for TT to incorporate the docking mount as part of the suction base is madness.

I was wondering if there is a way of separating that docking mount from the suction base and re-fitting to one of the cheap lever style mounts? At least i know those work and secure a damn sight better than the TT. The one with my Garmin gps supports a 7" unit!

I see its about 5 years since the above message.
However I am also looking for a solution to that problem which may by now have been solved. I have an oldish Go Live 500 which also falls off my car screen often due to warmth coming through from sunshine drying out the suction pads.
I also have a new GO 6000 which has a similar screen fitting which hasn't fallen off as yet (2 weeks usage) and seems secure.. Could this be due to the new plastic discs. Does any one know whether renewing the plastic discs will solve the problem? Just a wear and tear thing.

Thanks

Are the windscreen and the plastic mount clean?

As i said in the post....i use Auto-Glym glass cleaner and you can't get much better than that. Cleans anything off glass. The mount sucker, i've used degreaser on and then moistened slightly before fixing to the screen. The sucker and the screen glass is not where the fault is though. It's that ring....the method TT decided to use in favour of a lever mount sucker. Road vibration works the ring loose. As pointed out, my Garmin gps has a lever type screen mount which holds it rock solid....and thats a 7" unit so considerably bigger and more weight than the GO750. My old TT 700 which i had before the 750......never a problem. You could hang a brick off the screen mount.....but.....that was a lever type mount, same as the Garmin.

Ideally i'm looking for a way of fitting the dock cradle to a lever mount. That's the only idea i can come up with so far.

I see its about 5 years since the above message.

No......its 5 years since i joined the forum!! The date of posting is underneath the post John ;)

Yes i've seen them but i do not want to purchase another TT GO750 mount otherwise i'm just back where i started !! I'm wanting to resolve the problem of the ring working loose from road vibration and the only way i can see round it is by trying to part the cradle dock and fit it to a lever mount like this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MOUNT...447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35c68b2127

Just a matter of knowing 1) if the dock can be parted from the TT mount and 2) if the ball on the non-oem is the same size.

Judging by the response it seems i must be the only person venturing off smooth freshly asphalted roadways!! I've driven in Albania and Bulgaria where it's not uncommon for the roads surfaces to melt and break up from a combination of hot weather and heavy trucks coupled with harsh winters.

One thing everyone should know about these urethane suction devices -- you do NOT want to rub on them when cleaning them -- unless perhaps it's with your hands. The integrity of the outer edge of these things is important, and cleaning with things like paper towel roughs up the surface enough to create its own problems holding a vacuum. In addition, for those that remove the mount on a regular basis so as to leave no trace that a GPS might be stored in the vehicle, understand that embedded dust and grit are not your friends. Try to store the suction cup such that it isn't in contact with anything - avoid getting it dirty to begin with and you won't have to deal with cleaning it. Also, you don't want it resting against anything that deforms its shape.

Half a drop of ordinary Dawn dish soap and fingers are my favorite tools for all kinds of things - from 'fingered' DVDs to suction cups. Highly recommended.

And yes, over the years, the U/V will degrade the urethane, reducing its compliance. It's a right bugger up here in Colorado where our UV index on a partly sunny afternoon puts a sea level index at high noon on a clear day to shame.

Now this clearly doesn't address the OP's problem, as his is an issue of the locking mechanism releasing, but I thought I'd throw in my 50 cents worth for anyone else with more mundane issues of suction cups not staying put even with the locking mechanism is working.

Ask a Question