Only 2 computer voices?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Is that all there really is for my 720 go? I have a choice of 2 computer voices in english only. Sure i could listen to the computer British voice but i dont feel like it. I like hearing the street names so i prefer the computer voices. Are there anymore available out there that I dont have to pay for that would work? Oh, and i dont want a dude's voice, so sorry. ;)

Thanks

My recently acquired XL330S came with "Samantha" as the only computer voice. HOME is also showing that as my only English-speaking female computer voice available for download.

The XL330 uses a different TTS system than the 720 the OP was questioning, as a result of the different TTS systems yours will have different names but Samantha won't work on a 720 - Mike

The XL330 uses a different TTS system than the 720 the OP was questioning, as a result of the different TTS systems yours will have different names but Samantha won't work on a 720 - Mike

So will Susan and Kate not work on my XL330S?

Your XL uses the Vocalizer TTS system which is a totally different system to the Loquendo TTS and the voice files are not interchangeable so you cannot use the voice file downloads I included earlier in this thread on the XL - Mike

The hardware for the 330s model is such that the cpu can't handle the demands made by the Loquendo TTS engine used for the Go models. Sorry.

Ok... can I search the net for a Vocalizer TTS and then download to the XL?

Under Home you can go to "add voices" and get more computer voices than Samantha. There may be another American male voice, and there are definitely a few UK English voices.

Text to speech is a very sophisticated process, and even getting one voice to be close to realistic is a lot of work for the developers. There are tons of downloadable voices if you don't want text-so-speech (again all downloadable via HOME).

Just be aware that the Susan and Kate voices (and all Loquendo voices) require 64mb ram to function. Most devices shipped with Samantha (the Vocalizer voice) only have 32mb ram and will crash when you attempt to use a Loquendo voice.

I have been trying to get my 720 working with VR and text-to-speech. I have no computer voices available. When I click on Add Voices/Computer Voices I receive an error: You cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device.

The info screen:
Device AK9SQ CJCUS
App 8.302 (9738/090225) OS:244890
64 MB RAM (free: 14.6 MB)
GPS v1.20. Boot 5.5015
Map: 'North_America_2GB' v830.2284
Language: English UK

Welcome to the forum, you cannot use TTS voices with Home due to license restrictions, try switching on the device and going to change preferences/ manage voices/ switch voice and scroll through the available options, look for Kate or Susan and select one of these.

If you can't find any computer voices on the device you can still download and add the required files to your device without using the useless Home software:
Go to the second post in this thread where I posted a couple of links to download TTS voices, download one and unzip it directly to the LoquendoTTS folder on your 720, if you are unsure about how to do this post back and I will sort out some detailed instructions - Make sure you have made a full back up using Windows Explorer before you do anything with the device though just in case - Mike

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have Susan on my 720 but when I select it, I have no sound. I have downloaded Kate but was not sure what to do. Do I just copy all the unzipped files into LoquendoTTS?

By the way, I looked in the voices folder and I see a bunch of files prefixed by Data. They appear to be in sets with an extension of .chk and .vif. The .chk files contain the text "recovered file fragments" which suggests some kind of corruption. The last file is susan.tlv.

Your device uses Linux so the .chk files are fine, Windoze reports them as fragmented files because its stupid, if you delete them all the device will fail to work!

I will post up some instructions later, in the mean time download and install WinRar to your PC as thats the easy way to install files to the TomTom reliably - Mike

I have Susan on my 720 but when I select it, I have no sound. I have downloaded Kate but was not sure what to do. Do I just copy all the unzipped files into LoquendoTTS?

Mike's link is for the newer Tomtom models that use Loquendo 7.x.

The 720 is only licensed to use Loquendo 6.9 and recent applications enforce that restriction by not playing Loquendo 7 voices. Perhaps your non-working Susan voice is Loquendo 7.

Do this to clear out your voices and you should be able to download Susan or Kate (v6.9) directly from Tomtom HOME.

- close Tomtom HOME
- delete the LoquendoTTS folder on your Tomtom
- delete the mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\computervoice folder from your computer
- delete the %appdata%\Tomtom folder on your computer
- use winrar to extract the contents this file onto the Tomtom, overwriting as necessary (readds some Loquendo files)
- start up Tomtom HOME, log in using your email/password, and refuse all updates that it initially offers, then disconnect the device with the blue icon in the lower right of HOME
- then pin reset the 720

Then you should be fully reset. To add voices:
- reconnect to HOME, go to "add traffic/voices" -> "voices" -> "Computer voices"

I so have to download Kate. Chicks with British accents are hot.

Ask a Question