One IQ Stuck in change language menu

I am about to throw this thing out the window.

I have no idea what happened but while I was using it my GPS somehow was brought to the change language menu. When I select a language it takes me through the preferences and then freezes at the "time change" menu, then turns itself off and on, and then goes right back to the change language menu.

I have been going back and forth with customer service and tried all of their troubleshooting suggestions, including reformatting the hard drive and re-downloading all of the software. It seems to work just fine when I operate the device through my computer but then when it's by itself it craps out.

Any ideas?

1. Connect to the computer. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

2. Once you are SURE you have the backup, then Start-->Run-->Chkdsk X: \f where X = the drive letter shown on the computer.

3. Format the unit (again). Don't use quickformat.

4. Connect the unit to Home. Install the application offered. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect button.

5. Restart the unit. Does it boot to the 'no maps available' screen? If so, that's good.

6. Connect to the computer. Copy back the specific map folder AND a folder called maps if there is one.

Disconnect from the computer using the Hardware Disconnect icon.

I followed all the steps but when I disconnected the device from the computer it took me back to the change language menu.... It has no maps on it, etc. as of right now.

With no maps loaded I would expect the device to say "No Maps Found" when it boots up, as its wanting to know the langauge I would look at the root of the device using Windows Explorer, is there a file named ttgo.bif if so open it with NotePad are the contents readable - Mike

With your unit connected, and after downloading the program that dhn pointed out for you, run it on your PC three times in a row.

No I got that part, but do I run clear flash through tomtom HOME, my device, or through the computer? Because I can't seem to find it in the computer...

No I got that part, but do I run clear flash through tomtom HOME, my device, or through the computer? Because I can't seem to find it in the computer...
Did you download it from the TomTom site yet? If so, where does your browser put files that you download?

Let's assume the default. What browser are you using?

I downloaded it but during the installation process the tomtom doesn't respond. it says to click "okay" but nothing is happening.

Nothing to install, just to 'run'. At what point are you running into trouble? Perhaps it's working but you don't know it. See step F below. No bells, whistles or blinking lights, so it's not evident that anything is happening. Here's how it should work:

Run the TomTom Clear Flash tool:
  1. Double-click the file clear_flash.exe.
  2. Select the language. Read the Licence Agreement, then select I Agree. Click Continue or
    1751_01.gif
  3. Install TomTom Clear Flash is already selected. Click Continue or
    1751_01.gif
  4. Click Continue or
    1751_01.gif
  5. Click
    1751_01.gif
    again to start the installation.
    When the installation has finished, the message Installation complete is displayed.
  6. Click OK or
    1751_01.gif
  7. Click
    1751_01.gif
    again.
It sounds as though you are expecting more of the program than it actually does. Just click OK as you have been. Run it THREE times.

Ask a Question